Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I'm a third year pharmacy student doing an Mpharm degree in

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm a third year pharmacy student doing an Mpharm degree in the university of Sunderland UK
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: So today I was doing a practical exam called an osce, in this exam we have a station called clinical query and its about contraceptive ,in this case i call the prescriber and discuss a patient's prescription , so there was a patient taking sumatriptan and she's been having more migraines than usual lately , she was also on Rigevidon which is a CHC , I advised her on dvt risk and stroke risk associated with migraine and CHC. And advised on switching to pop , or cerazette , i also advised the prescriber to continue the CHC pack and then start the POP or cerazette ,my question is , should have stopped the CHC immediately, or its okay to finish the pack and then switch to cerazette ?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: Its migraine with aura , so visual disturbances, unilateral , and nausea
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that's all
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I mean from a potential risk point of view , I would only refer to emergency if there was pain the left leg calf, this is a blood clot and is considered dangerous , in general all stroke and dvt risks are small compared to risks of pregnancy ,that's why I advised on finishing the CHC pack and then switch to cerazette
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 18 days ago.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch and the really interesting question. To be honest it's one of those where the examiners likely think they're being clever and may have expected you to tell them to change immediately, it's difficult to say. I would say however that your answer seems very logical and safe/practical. You gave the appropriate counselling and course of action and communicated it to all parties involved. Good job.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Oh my God thank you so much dr you gave me a big relief, may Allah bless you... thank you so much

You're so welcome, I'm glad I could help. All the best for the future and your career.