Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I recently moved to a new area and am suffering from severe

Customer Question

I recently moved to a new area and am suffering from severe knee pain and require a med cert for work. Are you able to help?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: My right knee is swollen. It seems to get worse with lots of walking or stairs
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was taking naproxen but it doesn't help
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 21 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

You would need an MRI for the evaluation.

The following comprehensive care by various measures are advised:

1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending the pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joints in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross-legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives them time to heal, and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. The ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Orthotics and bracing.

6) Glucosamine and chondroitin orally for about 1-2 years and a trial of diacerein for three months. You may also take rosehip extract and undenatured collagen type 2 for regeneration of the cartilage.

7) Hyaluronic acid injections in the knee.

8) Local analgesic sprays and ointments to your skin may help relieve the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.

9) Deep Electrotherapy by the physical therapist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UxUfRb619A

This is not a telemedicine website, unfortunately.

The website is only meant to provide medical education and answers specific to your questions only.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

I know that’s not what you want to hear right now.

I would be happy to answer any other medical concerns you have.

The website is not authorized to issue any prescriptions or notes/certificates or referrals.

An urgent care center can do that for you.

I am just a messenger, I am afraid.

Sorry again.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.

I would be happy to assist your further.