Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am a wheelchair user and have a spinal cord injury C5/C6

Customer Question

Hello, I am a wheelchair user and have a spinal cord injury C5/C6 incomplete. My sensation is compromised. I injured my foot/ankle and it is swollen. and there is light bruising on the foot. M
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: calf is a little swollen too. I haven't seen a doctor as all appointments are booked up and the receptionist said to call 111. My medications are Lyrinel, baclofen, aldronic acid and 1 profolactic antibiotic daily
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I am allergic to trimethiprin (sp?) All my medication is daily apart from Alendronic Acid which I take once a week for oesteoporosis
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that's about it..thank you. My name is*****
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 16 days ago.

There is risk of foot bone fracture from the injury resulting in swelling and bruising.

Since you have no sensation you may not know even if bone broken.

Better to get Xrays by contacting your GP for further evaluation.

Meanwhile you should apply ice pack as tolerated and keep up your leg which helps to reduce swelling.

Ankle brace or bandaging also recommended for immobilization --helps with healing process.