Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

When i turned over in bed lastnight the room started to

Customer Question

When i turned over in bed lastnight the room started to spin. It is less pronounced now but when i move downward again this spinning/vertigo sensation occurs
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No i failed to get in this morning and can now try again for a telephone consultation at 10;30am
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Only medication is a mild steriod for asthma otherwise i am healthy and well
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: pulimcort 100 daily. Allergic to penacillin
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
58 male
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
A text reply is fine thank you

Please dont worry about the call request, it is generated automatically by the website, not by me. I will help you through text.

I have your reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

From your description, this is most likely an episode of BPPV, or benign paroxysmal positional vertigo - a momentary dizziness that you get when you move your head.
Typically occurs when you get up from bed or when you roll in bed or move your head.
It is a non-critical condition and self-resolving, and you will require to do some exercises.
You should do some adaptation exercises for your dizziness, you can look up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olgEtOKAGaI
These exercises are the mainstay of treatment, you should do them regularly.
You should also take OTC Cap. Benadryl 50 mg twice daily, this has an anti-dizziness effect. It may cause sleepiness.

In general, however, all dizziness episodes should be checked up. Such dizziness could also be caused by other ear conditions like ear infections, Meniere's disease. Various other conditions of the brain, heart, etc could also cause such dizziness. So it could be a sign of some potentially dangerous ailments. Hence you should consult your doctor, your GP or Family Physician, ASAP for an examination and investigations if necessary. Ask about BPPV. A maneuver called Epley's maneuver is very useful for this, ask about this.

Meanwhile continue with the Benadryl and the exercises till you get to your doctor.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti