Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My friend has possible Guyon Canal syndrome, can a

Customer Question

My friend has possible Guyon Canal syndrome, can a Chiropractor help with this ?
JA: What are all your friend's symptoms? Are they taking any medication?
Customer: They have numbness of left side of righthand palm from fingertips to wrist not taking any medication
JA: Got it. When was their last doctor visit? What did they discuss?
Customer: He said he went to a specialist? He said he thought it might be Guyons canal and not Ulna nerve entrapment, that he needed a conductivity test. The he would have to wait because of length of appointments in NHS. I want to know if a chiropractor could help him straightaway along with some OTC analgesia
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in their medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, very healthy otherwise
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr K. I have over 25 years of clinical experience and look forward to answering your question. i may need more information from you, so I may ask for that. My goal is to provide a complete answer to your question and to be sure you are satisfied with that answer.

I am sorry that you are having this problem but will do my best to assist you and answer your questions.     Why are you concerned about Guyon Canal syndrome?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 18 days ago.

These are the symptoms.

Pain on the inside (medial) part of the elbow

Numbness and/or tingling that goes down the inside part of the forearm and even into the ring and little fingers (4th and 5th digits)

Weakness with certain wrist and hand motions

Sensation of popping or snapping on the inside part of the elbow

Decreased muscle size (atrophy) of certain muscles in the hand

The treatment is rest , antiinflammatory medications. And elbow bracing.   I would NOT recommend a chiropractor as any sort of manipulation will worsen the condition.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. Please let me know if you have additional concerns or need me to clarify something. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No, just the hand is affected, (numbness) not the elbow. The left side of the right palm and fingers are affected.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 18 days ago.

That is due to compression of the nerve at the elbow.   So yes, the elbow is the issue.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Is exercise helpful?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What about massage of the elbow?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 18 days ago.

No, not at all.   And no.   If you really read my answer above, it’s important to keep the area immobilized and rest it to avoid further injury

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I will pass on your advice, many thanks indeed
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 18 days ago.

Thanks for using JA