Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

I just bought these hair vitamins and I'm a guy and I was

Customer Question

I just bought these hair vitamins https://www.vitabiotics.com/products/perfectil-original-tablets and I'm a guy and I was concerned about the iron content per tablet its 12mg and I know the recommend about is around 8mg. I run and workout but I've heard how having too much ironisbadforyouasmen can't excrete iron or something like that. So I was wondering what I should do ? Is it a bad idea to use them ? I was thinking I could take the vitamin every second day so it would kind be like me getting 6mg iron each day via the supplement. I don't know any help would be great !I do not want to overdose on iron because too much iron can causes oxidative stress. I regularly get about 6mg iron from my diet but because my diet doesn't consists of a lot of meat and is mostly plant based and I know there is a difference in absorption regarding heme and non heme iron. i thought maybe this multivitamin will help a little with that and also zinc and ect because i read how plant iron is less bioavailable and accessible. overall if i take this supplement and i follow my healthhy diet accoring to cronometer food log i get about 18mg iron which I'm worried might be too much. Hope you can help me.
Expert:  Dr Geyik, MBBS replied 15 days ago.

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Could I ask if you have ever had iron deficiency or liver disease?

These vitamins and the dose of iron should be fine provided you do not have any excess of these vitamins or previous high iron in your blood.

For iron deficiency we give 200 mg of iron so for a normal healthy person 12 mg is fine.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I dont have iron deficiency or liver disease im 24 male who tries to eat healthy but my diet is not high in red meat I eat oats for breakfast, lentils for lunch and salmon for dinner. I do work out and exercise everyday including running and weight lifting. Im just concerned if im overdosing on iron as male ?

I don’t think you need vitamins but if you take those, they are not going to cause any issues or iron overdose.