Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
106915327

Blood Test question - a recent blood test has shown a GFR of

Blood Test question - a recent blood test has shown a GFR of 60 but a potassium level of 5.3 m mol My understanding is that normal levels are 3.5 -5.0 How serious is this and what actions should I take Grateful for your advice. David Spells

Thanks for using just answer

Potassium is 5.3, this is not high as anything above 6 is classed as significant

Levels also vary during the day, so tomorrow it can be 5.1

You should cut down or avoid any potassium rich foods such as bananas or fruit drinks, drink plenty of water

and have your levels rechecked in a week

I'm not sure about eGFR as 60 is appropriate depending on age, ethnicity and other variables but generally from the age of 60 expect your eGFR to start to go down from 90 and 60 is classed as acceptable in those age groups

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for the almost real time comprehensive resresponse

You're most welcome, let me know if any further queries