Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Medicine Doctor
6740150

I have some acid reflux right now but I want to go and

I have some acid reflux right now but I want to go and complete my workout at the gym.Am I safe to do so without worrying about a heart attack?I’m 26 I know this may sound stupid. I did smoke 2 cigarettes today which I am quitting.I’m not a regular smoker by the way don’t do it often and only occasionally this past year prior to that it was only during social functions

Hi there! I’m Dr. Josh, a Board Certified Physician with 15+ years of experience in clinical practice and I would serve you with care and patience.

I'm sorry you are having this issue. I will do my best to help you.

Please note- All phone call requests are auto-generated and you may ignore these requests. Communicating through text chat is just fine with me.

Respected customer,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Before I answer your question, I would like to get some more information:

Do you have pain in the left side of the chest?

Do you have numbness in your left arm?

I am waiting for your reply..

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No to both of those questions dr

Do you have pain in the upper abdomen?

Are you on any medications?

Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No pain anywhere and no medications. I haven’t gone to the gym yet.I do suffer from anxiety but it is some what under control. It does get ahead of me sometimes

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am currently preparing and typing my answer now, and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

If there is anything else you want to add, would you mind sharing that information? I really want to offer you the best service.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Sure, thank you. There isn’t anything I can think of.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I had my heart checked by a cardiologist 3 months ago. Echo, ekg and BP were all good
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He didn’t do a stress test though

Respected Customer,

I am sorry to hear about your problem and I know how worrisome this situation can be for you but hopefully, we can resolve this.

Yes, you can safely go-ahead for a workout at the gym.

There is no need to worry about heart issues, As your recent tests are normal and healthy, So I am relaxed.

There is no risk for heart issues, from such a workout.

Acid reflux issues can often worsen during exercise since the increased movement can allow stomach acid to leak out of the stomach and into the oesophagus.

As such, Low impact exercise is better, for you.

Make sure you leave around two hours between eating and working out.

Don’t drink high-carbohydrate sports drinks

There is no need to think about heart attack, by such an exercise schedule.

You need to make some dietary changes along with medications. Avoid chocolate fatty foods, coffee, and alcoholic beverages. Avoid beans, cabbage, and carbonated beverages. If you are overweight, lose some weight.

You should avoid smoking( if you do)

Drink up to eight glasses of water a day.

Remain away from stress and anxiety. Start practising Yoga and meditation. Deep breathing exercises and relaxation techniques will be helpful.

Elevate the head end of the bed by 8 inches. It would be helpful.

You should avoid these-

beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, sprouts, onions, and garlic.

You can eat lean meats, cold-water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil.

Also, you should eat meals at least 2 to 3 hours before bedtime.

Take Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.

You can take acid blockers like- Lansoprazole/Prilosec/Nexium.

You can have Coconut water, It is rich in fibre, which is why it helps aid digestion and prevents the re-occurrence of acidity.

You can have a teaspoon of baking soda and mix it in a glass of water. All you have to do is stir the baking soda in the water until the mixture is not cloudy anymore. Drink this. Drink it as and when required.

Cabbage Juice would be very good for this issue. You can cut the cabbage in pieces and juice it with a help of your juicer. And then, extract a cup of fresh cabbage juice and drink it.
You may add a few carrots and celery to make it even healthier and tastier.

A healthy diet is very necessary to be free from such symptoms.

Usually with these tips, in 1-2 weeks you will be free from symptoms.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Get well soon!

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
my heart can’t develop any problems in the last*****

There is no reason to think about the heart issues, with such normal test results.

These test results are very reliable for the next 2-3 years.

Your heart is absolutely fine and healthy.

Please calm down and be relaxed.

I assure, that there is no reason to think about a heart issue.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,

I am available to answer any follow-up questions you may have, so please feel free to ask.

We can continue here until you are satisfied, use the reply box and let me know.