Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, including surgery, general medicine, and pain.
18722459

This was the message that you helped me with the other day.

This was the message that you helped me with the other day.Male aged 30. I hurt my shoulder blade last week. I also strained my neck, I suffer from health anxiety so I kept checking on the mole on my side, I was bending my neck down all the time, to see the mole on my side, the mole is fine by the way. I done that multiple times a day for around aweekandnow I have a sprained or strained neck. When I swollow solid foods I feel a sensation bolow the base of neck or in shoulder blade but left hand side, I was twisting my neck on left side to check mole. and it feels internal. The sensation is not painful and only occurs when I swallow food. Its been there for 5 days. Is this normal when you sprain or strain your neck, to feel a strange sensation below neck base on left shoulder blade when swollowing solid foods after a neck sprain or strain?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
when I swallow I feel a strange sensation in back and the conclusion was that I strained the Trapezius muscle.I was eating dinner and when I was eating chops I didn't feel thesensation but I feel the sensation when eating chips or crisps or cream crackers. Why is that?Is this because the rib chops was more easy to go down due to the grease on it from when cooking it?And the crisps and chips I felt the sensation due to them being more dry and that means using more of a pull from that muscle when swollowing?
What I mean is, when I eat sharp foods I feel that sensation.Is that because I use more of a pull from the muscles?.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I completely understand that it seems like I'm going on about the same thing. But this is my final question, Doctor. Please answer.

Hi there

Can you better describe the sensation?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Well, it's just a sensation. It occurred after I sprained my kneck after I kept looking at the mole on my side for a whole week. Then I hurt my left shoulder blade before that. It's when I swollow like dry foods for instants crisps or cream crackers but when ate pork chops for dinner I didn't feel the sensation but when I eat chips I feel it. I was told by another doctor on just answer that it's the Trapezius muscle I hurt, the sensation is on back, left side beside spine. At top of back. I will send a picture of location. The sensation when swollowing only started after I kept stretching my neck in an awkward position. But the sensation is when I swollow solid foods like chips or crisps or bread but I ate pork chops and didn't feel it and I'm wondering if this is because when I eat more dry foods like crisps or chips my muscles are use more, namely the Trapezius muscle. I will send you the picture of location.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The redness is from the hot water bottle. The location is where the orange dot is. When I swallow food I get a sensation there when I eat sharp or dry foods. Is this because more muscle is being used with such foods?

You say sensation but that doesn't tell me much

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I can't describe it, Doctor. It's not a pain.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
If I lift my left arm up and set it high and keep it there for a while, I get the same sensation but also when swollowing as I described above. For instance if I kept my left arm up on a side of high char while sitting I would get that sensation then it would start to hurt a little.It only occurred after I sprained my kneck and hurt my left shoulder blade last week.

Then it has to be anxiety and not a serious problem with swallowing or with the muscle

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It's an actual feeling I feel because it came after I strained. So to finish up. Can you answer my original question please. The sensation or feeling I get when swollowing dry foods is because of more pull to the muscles? And that's why when I eat foods like pork chops which may have more grease I don't feel it?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It's definitely not anxiety as it occurred after the sprain

Just more pull to the muscles but it won't last for much longer

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** last question.So eating sharper and dry foods is causing more pull and it could take 3 or so weeks to heal?

Yes

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It's nothing to do with eusophicus or anything?

Nothing do do with your esophagus

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK, doc. I promise this is the last question. I don't feel it when I cough or sneeze. But only when I sit awkward or swallow. Can a strain be like this?

Just a strain

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you very much.

My pleasure

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
it's definitely not a tumor symptoms? That was the question I was afraid to ask but now I have asked.

Not any kind of tumor or cancer

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
You have no idea, how much you have helped. I can finally sleep now. My goodness, I was so afraid to ask that. I can rest now. So it's definitely not the way a cancer symptoms would be?

Cancer would never present like this

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
May God bless you, Doctor Chip. It the day after I lifted two bags a coal when I was half way through my dinner.Thank you Doctor.

You're welcome

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi, doc just an update. The sensation wasn't as bad today when eating. Although when my eat dinner fast it hurts at my back between shoulder blades. So it's a good sign that sensation is not as bad? I think I got carried away and ate my dinner to quick that's why it hurt my back at that location. This is good news isn't it doctor? I will just eat slower until healed.

Very good news

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** probably won't hear from me for a long time. I'm relaxing now. I have one more question to finish all this. Is it normal to feel pain in your back after eating to fast, in trapezius muscle after straining it??I want to thank you Doctor, you have been very kind to me.

That's normal

My pleasure to help