Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Are chronoidal nevi something to worry about, It was

Customer Question

Are chronoidal nevi something to worry about
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: It was discovered today during a routine eye test and awaiting referral from doctor
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: Today and fine. I have been prescribed low prescription glasses for driving and watching TV but other than that eye health is good
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr K. I have over 25 years of clinical experience and look forward to answering your question. i may need more information from you, so I may ask for that. My goal is to provide a complete answer to your question and to be sure you are satisfied with that answer.

I am sorry that you are having this problem but will do my best to assist you and answer your questions.    I’m assuming you mean a choroidal nevus?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry yes choroidal nevus
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 15 days ago.

These are benign lesions    It’s important to distinguish them from a melanoma so I’m sure that is what your eye Dr did.

Choroidal nevi are benign melanocytic lesions of the posterior uvea. In the United States, their prevalence ranges from 4.6 percent to 7.9 percent in Caucasians. By comparison, choroidal melanoma is rare, manifesting in approximately six in 1 million Caucasian individuals.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. Please let me know if you have additional concerns or need me to clarify something. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK, yes my optometrist said it was nothing to be concerned about, the shape and colour of it were fine and that she would just refer me to my doctor just to have it checked to be sure nothing is wrong with it. I usually don't have any health issues so once I saw what it could be I started to worry
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 15 days ago.

I’m not sure why you are worried if the optometrist said its nothing to worry about ?   Its a benign lesion.   Its nothing to worry about

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It's mainly as I have cancer in my family, and more specifically I currently have an uncle with a brain tumour that was discovered after having issues with his eye so I think I'm just adding 2 and 2 together
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 15 days ago.

A brain tumor and this lesion have nothing at all to do with each other.   This lesion is a benign lesion, and has nothing to do with a history of cancer in the family.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK thank you very much for your help
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer.