Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I can't "burp", I seem to have a build up of pressure in my

I can't "burp", I seem to have a build up of pressure in my chest area which I can only describe as indigestion, it is only relieved by heaving and making a sound that I can only think a dinosaur would make... Others have described it as a "dying zombie" - it's getting quite annoying, I believe this is due to not "burping". Apparently I did when I was a baby... any thoughts?
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: This is an ongoing issue, no emergency.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My GP didn't have any ideas.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. It's an interesting question and not particularly a common one as you can understand. It does sound like this is a case of trapped gas that needs relief. You could try some breathing exercises and 'practicing' how to burp if you can find any sort of guides online otherwise there may be benefit in taking a supplement to help reduce the amount of gas there is in the body. I hope that helps, all the very best.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Doctor Karim, I've tried burping exercises, all that seems to happen is I heave. I believe you're right regarding trapped gas, as several hours later it seems to come out the rear... quite annoying to be honest. I assume there's no fix for this?

In summary:

1. Try one of these products:

https://www.boots.com/wind-relief-products-?storeId=11352&catalogId=28501

2. Ask for a referral to gastroenterology regarding

-possible hiatus hernia

3. Ask for a test for H. Pylori from the GP

I hope that helps and you feel better soon, all the very best for the future.