Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

Myself and my son have just spent 10 days isolating in Spain

Customer Question

Hi there, myself and my son have just spent 10 days isolating in Spain after testing positive… we did a lateral flow before leaving and was both negative and have recovery certificates. We have come home and done the 2 day pcr test and my son is showing positive. We have both done 10 days isolating… what do we do please?
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: No symptoms
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about this?
Customer: we did the 2 day test when we landed yesterday and just recieved the email confirmation now
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 19 days ago.

I am sorry to hear this. You should now isolate unfortunately, but I would consider repeating the PCR test.

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 19 days ago.

As per testing, a PCR test is more accurate than a Lateral flow test

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I’ve just spoke to COVID hotline they said as he has already isolated for over 10 days before, he doesn’t need to do it again!
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 19 days ago.

My apologies, the first part of your message was not visible.

yes, a positive test can exist beyond 10 days so you are correct, isolation is no longer required