Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

I have a 3 year old child who has not yet spoken a word yet,

Hello,I have a 3 year old child who has not yet spoken a word yet, it is possibly related to speech delayIn order to investigate further after a successful hearing test, the audiologist attempted an ABR test but was not successful as the child would not stay still without pulling the cablesThey have suggested a general anaesthetic option in order to undertake a successful ABR testHowever, I have reservations for GA, as research shows it can damage the brain and of course a very minimal risk of deathI would like to know from your experience, should we wait till the child get older then attempt an ABR test, should we go ahead with the GA, are there alternative options?Thanks for your time

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

I think you should see a paediatrician before allowing any anaesthetic at all. Speech delays can be normal and most speak eventually. The paediatrician can do a full assessment and ensure there are no other causes. So you should speak to his GP to refer him to paediatrician before any GA.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help