How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Srividhya V S Your Own Question
Srividhya V S
Srividhya V S, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 672
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Dr V S Srividhya
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Srividhya V S is online now

I am moving abroad on Monday and I suffer from epilepsy. One

Customer Question

Hello! I am moving abroad on Monday and I suffer from epilepsy. One of the drugs I take for it is Clobezam which is a Benzodiazapine. Although it is a controlled drug and I understand you normally can't have more than one months supply, there are exceptions where you can be supplied more if it can be justified as a clinical issue (I have it for epilepsy). However, I am having a lot of difficulty finding a doctor who will give me more than one months prescription
JA: When were you prescribed this medication? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: I was prescribed about two months ago and I haven't had any side effects from it
JA: Got it. Have you used anything else for this?
Customer: to replace the clobazam? I haven't but I also take Lamotrigine alongside it. It is very important I don't run out of clobazam as I suffer from severe withdrawal symptoms (even with the lamotrigine)
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don't think so no :)
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Srividhya V S replied 14 days ago.
Welcome to just answer.
I am Dr vazsv here to help you.
I completely understand your concern and I would try my best to assist you.I would like to clarify that as you have mentioned in your description, any antiepileptic medication is given for a period of one month as it warrants the clinical assessment of the patient ( especially when on combination therapy).You can request your physician to document on paper about the severity of your episodes and mention that you need atleast two months medications in hand considering your shift over.If it's not possible to get it done, you can visit the nearest healthcare facility where you are migrating and quote your problem.
They might give you a temporary prescription for atleast two weeks.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you! My GP has given one month prescription but the NHS advices three months when moving abroad to tie you over and I can't seem to get anymore despite explaining my situation to them. It's not a guarantee I will be able to get more within one month in Korea. I have read that if there is a clinical justification for the clobezam, they can issue more than one months supply
Expert:  Srividhya V S replied 14 days ago.
That is what I have explained in my answer.You have to get that clinical note in person from your physician as online medical notes won't stand valid in that case and cannot help you in getting your medications.I would suggest you to consult any physician at NHS and request regarding this. They will definitely help you.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try that :)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will walk into my GP’s today and see what they say
Expert:  Srividhya V S replied 14 days ago.
You are welcome.
Take care.
Wish you all the very best and all good health always.Good day.
Kind regards-Dr vazsv.