Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

I have been married for 43 years now but my husband and me

Customer Question

I have been married for 43 years now but my husband and me have very bad ulcers on our legs we don’t seem to improve any and the pain is so bad it’s getting us down his on both feet from his ankles to ankles and heels so wet that they are changed daily by a distitist nurse but I somedays twice a day
Expert:  Zee J replied 13 days ago.

Hi there kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Age?

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Smoking and alcohol?

Expert:  Zee J replied 13 days ago.

Can you also upload pictures of ulcers?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He is 72 he is fairly active until his feet started he has a bad diagrams at the moment he is taking gabapentin and paracetamol but he doesn’t smoke or drink or drugs he is still waiting to hear from his specialist and waiting for the nurse to do a dopal and he is still waiting for the tissue viability nurse but we can’t get out because of his feet and the virus so both of us have been in for over 18 months the treatment nurse nurse is doing is washing the ankles Monday and Thursday they put cutimed and prontosan and bandage them up and then they take the wet ones off I have a photo but I don’t know how. Thank you
Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

It looks like you both have some venous ulcers

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

With appropriate treatment, most venous leg ulcers heal within 3 to 4 months.

Treatment should always be carried out by a healthcare professional trained in compression therapy for leg ulcers.

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

Most venous leg ulcers heal within 3 to 4 months if they're treated by a healthcare professional trained in compression therapy for leg ulcers. But some ulcers may take longer to heal, and a very small number never heal.

Treatment usually involves:

• cleaning and dressing the wound

• using compression, such as bandages or stockings, to improve the flow of blood in the legs

• Antibiotics may also be used if the ulcer becomes infected, but they do not help ulcers heal.

• But unless the underlying cause of the ulcer is addressed, there's a high risk of a venous leg ulcer coming back after treatment.

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

You might also need a Doppler scan to help rule out any underlying cause

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

At the moment you guys must focus on treating ulcers by liaising with doctors and nurses and once things are improved then need to prevent these ulcers from developing in the future:

• wearing compression stockings

• losing weight if you're overweight

• exercising regularly

• elevating your leg when possible

• stopping smoking if you smoke