Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

I also have a big one on my calf but it’s painful when I lay

I also have a big one on my calf but it’s painful when I lay down on my bed I’m also treated by the nurse and I have wraps on my leg is there anything else we can do

Hi there kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Age? Male or female?

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Smoking and alcohol?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My husband is 73 has never done drugs smoked or drank he was in very good health till the ulcers came back in*****put him on water tablets then he was improving but he was giving him more and more then he got very dehydrated in June and was rush into hospital because of the tablet and losing so much fluids out from his feet I know he’s on a pain patch gaberpenin and pars too I really want to get some herbal medicine to see if it helps him I’m different I’m 62 I I’ll up smoking in 1993 I have lots of health problems but I’m also disabled with arthritis in my knees and hips and lots more tablets for stomach ulcers gall bladder liver and pancreas problems I have never drink or done drugs thank you for your help

Do you guys have any diabetes or heart problems?

It looks like you partner having swelling in legs that could be the reason for the ulcers. He most likely has venous ulcers

He might also need a scan of his legs

There are several ways that could be helpful in preventing or healing a venous leg ulcer in people at risk.

These include: 

• wearing compression stockings

• losing weight if you're overweight

• exercising regularly

• elevating your leg when possible

• stopping smoking if you smoke

These ulcers are usually recurrent. So you need to liaise with doctors in addition to these simple preventive measures, to heal the ulcers which have already been developed

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for answering my question yes his are venous yes he found out he as a mild heart problems he has his legs up and he is still waiting for a Doppler but with this virus they don’t have the time to do it and he is still waiting on his construction to get back to him he is not yet in compression because of pain and all the fluid he leaking and they’re bandages on his legs he as prontosan and cut timed yes has lost weight but is there any other way he can get to help him? Any health tablets or anything like that I can get for him I got him to take vitamins b as he is lacking in iron as well can he have anything else .both of us have not been able to to go out because of the virus and not been able to get shoes on his feet please thank you

I can understand your frustration. There are few things which you can consider and discuss with your doctor if compression stocking are not possible:

• Aspirin (300 to 325 mg/day) may speed the healing of ulcers.

• Antibiotics are only recommended when there is an infection for early recovery of ulcers

• Horse chestnut seed extract reduces swelling and leg size in people with chronic venous disease. It may be recommended for people who cannot tolerate compression therapy, usually at a dose of 300 mg twice daily. Horse chestnut seed extract is available as a dietary supplement and does not require a prescription.

• Hydroxyethylrutoside is a prescription medication available in Europe that can reduce leg volume, swelling, and other symptoms.

• Micronized purified flavonoid fraction is also available as a dietary supplement; when added to compression therapy, it may improve healing of ulcers and many symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency, including lower extremity edema. It is usually taken as two 500 mg tablets daily. Talk to your doctor if you want to try this.

• The skin irritation caused by chronic venous disease, called stasis dermatitis, often improves by using moisturizers. Sometimes, a steroid cream or ointment is needed to help with itching and inflammation.