Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

On July 31, 2021 I went to hospital for a cataract removal.

On July 31, 2021 I went to hospital for a cataract removal. No problems were noted or mentioned beforehand. I received eye drops to numb my left eye and the clinician started the procedure. During, she announced she found a plaque build up behind my cataract and had to scrape it off then give me stitches. I was shocked this hadn’t been noted ahead as I had many eye exams ahead of surgery. She told me it would not show up behind a cataract...is this true and is this common.
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: I don’t need reading glasses but can’t see clearly long distance. My vision, presently has been curtailed as my lens was removed along with cataract but because I needed stitches I have been without a new lens since July 31st. My right eye is fine but has beginnings of a cataract but I still don’t need glasses to read
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, that is true and it can happen, cataract is like a shield and it is possible to miss anything behind that as it cant be seen on eye exams.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you. I will be happy to help you if you have any other questions in the future.

Best wishes.

Have a great day.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My other question is, what is the procedural method to having plaque removed and if it can be removed, can the new lens I’m given be inserted all in one procedure?

They would do that as they did to remove the cataract, it would be almost same procedure and yes you can get the new lwns once its done at the same time but ask your treating doctor to be sure.