Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have some red lumps on my vulva, and one is a little big

Customer Question

Hi, I have some red lumps on my vulva, and one is a little big bigger than a 5p coin, more raised a little sore with a black centre. I'm not sure of its just ingrown hair/razor burn (as I only shaved last night) ornif it's something I should get looked at?
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: It's soft and I only noticed it last night when shaving.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I hold some excess weight, so I don't always see that area, and I do have some small bumps along my thighs were they would touch
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 16 days ago.

Hi there,
I am an experienced Medical Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Please post a pic of the concerned area to provide your with precise diagnosis and treatment plan.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'm not sure how to attach a photo
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 16 days ago.

Here is a link on how to post pic:

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (5Z3Z6Q1)
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have attached the requested picture
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 16 days ago.

The big one is ingrown hair bump but infected from skin bacteria.

You can try topical Bacitracin ointment available over the counter 3 times daily --you can apply ice pack for pain relief.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
the smaller ones, am I right in assuming they are razor bumps?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 16 days ago.

yes they are razor bumps.

Please follow below guidelines to avoid hair bumps:

100% effective treatment is to let the hair grow. Once the hairs get to be a certain length they will not grow back into the skin. For most cases, totally avoid shaving for 3 to 4 weeks until all lesions have subsided, while applying a mild prescription cortisone cream to the involved skin each morning. Shaving every other day, rather than daily, will improve the condition.. If one must use a blade, water soften the hair first with a hot, wet washcloth for 5 minutes. Then use lubricating shaving gel (Edge, Aveeno), and the Aveeno PFB Bump Fighter Razor or the Flicker razor. Shave with the grain of the hair and do not stretch the skin. Use only one stroke over each area of the hairy area.

Electrolysis and laser hair removal should be considered when all else fails, but these are expensive and take repeated visits. There is a very small risk of scarring.

Medications are also prescribed to speed healing of the skin. Glycolic acid lotion 8% is effective (Alpha-hydrox, Neo-Strata, others). Prescription antibiotic gels (Benzamycin, Cleocin-T) or oral antibiotics are also used.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you very much! I'll definitely take all of this into consideration
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 16 days ago.

welcome