Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, including surgery, general medicine, and pain.
18722459

I have been having a stuffy nose, cough with phlegm and

I have been having a stuffy nose, cough with phlegm and other cold symptoms for over 10 days now. What is happening
JA: Have you used any medication for the stuffiness?
Customer: Hydrochloride nasal spray, helps every time but cant use it to infinity.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the stuffiness?
Customer: yes about a week ago
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No!

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
What was your doctor's diagnosis?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The symptoms started two weeks ago from this Saturday. I was coughing with green phlegm, felt tired, had few muscle aches, never a fever, stuffy nose just recently and no cough in phlegm. Have bought propolis yesterday and have been taking that. Can't taste or smell very well but have a stuffy nose which ruled out COVID. I went clubbing once and weightlifting once as well in a cold gym (can these potentially lengthen the duration of the cold)
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He told me it was just a cold and that I had to ride it through.

At this point it's a sinus infection and you're going to need antibiotics for that

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is this just a cold or something worse?
I did some research on influenza and pneumonia but I don't have almost any of the symptoms that each of them entail. So I am assuming its a severe cold.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Are you sure it is a sinus infection? I just lost my sense of smell and taste yesterday but it isn't very severe and I can still sense some taste and smell. I got a clogged nose yesterday too in the evening. It has been clearing up during the day today though.

Yes I'm sure but in time it may clear without antibiotics

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can you give me some other symptoms of a sinus infection so I can tell you whether I had them or not? And which antibiotic would I have to buy? How long would it take to clear with the antibiotic and without it?

You'd need to get a prescription from your doctor

Congestion, cough, possibly fever

I'd treat this with Septra

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Which doctor can I see? Almost all of them are online visits.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I do not think I have had a fever once during this period.

The same one you met with before

Or an urgent care centre doctor

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How long will it take to clear if I do not buy antibiotics?

Maybe another week

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK if it does not improve within the next week I will go buy the antibiotics. I would like this to go away naturally and not with antibiotics but am tired from being sick for 10+ days. The day I went to the gym I felt great, do you think weightlifting simply prolonged the infection a few more days?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The day I went weightlifting I did not have a cough, runny nose, or anything, just slight fatigue.

I understand

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
will propolis help fight the sinus infection? would manuka too?

Both would help

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK to recap, and please tell me if there is anything wrong:I originally had a cold which developed into a sinus infection and now my choices are:1) Use propolis and manuka for a week and hope it goes away.
2) If it does not go away after a week, go buy the antibiotics needed.

1) Yes

2) Yes

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Alright thank you!

You're welcome