Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I shaved my armpits yesterday. This morning I woke up and my

Customer Question

I shaved my armpits yesterday. This morning I woke up and my left pit is sore. It especially hurts when I lift my arm up high. And it’s inflamed and red on the skin. Is this normal? I had my breasts and armpits examined 2 weeks ago and all was ok.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The red area.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 12 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

You are likely to be having Folliculitis.

This is an infection of the hair follicles which occurs commonly after shaving.

Home care will usually suffice to help in this. You should wash with clean water and soap. Keep the area dry. Apply warm compressses if there is pain. Apply Ointment Neosporin (OTC) twice daily on the areas after cleaning .

If the infection continues, you have to show your doctor and get prescription ointments like Fucidin or Bactroban which are specific for staph bacteria.
In future, you should use an aftershave after shaving. Also you should use an electric razor rather than a blade. These two measures should help to prevent further bumps in the future.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. It feels tender when I touch it. The blade is pretty old now too so I will invest in an electric one.

Yes that would be a good idea.