Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Medicine Doctor
6740150

I have a pain in one part of my back which is about half way

I have a pain in one part of my back which is about half way down. It isn't sore at night and isn't always sore
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I had recently started doing exercises that I hadn't done before but it's been sore for a few weeks now and I'm not doing the exercises anymore
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It can get sore when I'm sitting but then when I change my posture it's not as sore and sometimes when I'm walking but it's the same thing if I strengthen my back then I'm grand

Hi there! I’m Dr. Josh, a Board Certified Physician with 15+ years of experience in clinical practice and I would serve you with care and patience.

I'm sorry you are having this issue. I will do my best to help you.

Please note- All phone call requests are auto-generated and you may ignore these requests. Communicating through text chat is just fine with me.

Respected customer,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Before I answer your question, I would like to get some more information:

On a grade of 1 to 10, how would you rate the pain?

I am waiting for your reply..

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It depends probably between 5-7

Does pain from the back radiates towards the thigh and legs?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No, sometimes it travels across my back but it's usually just in one part of the spine

Since when have you had this issue?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
A few weeks but it isn't sore all the time

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am currently preparing and typing my answer now, and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

If there is anything else you want to add, would you mind sharing that information? I really want to offer you the best service.

Respected Customer,

I am sorry to hear about your problem and I know how worrisome this situation can be for you but hopefully, we can resolve this.

It sounds like a Muscle strain or a pinched nerve.

You can follow these measures to get free from such symptoms-

1. You can apply ice packs on your back for 15 minutes and can be repeated 3-4 times a day.

2. Stretching exercises for your low back can help you feel better and may help to relieve nerve root compression.

3. You can start with OTC Ibuprofen and can be taken in a dosage of 400 mg thrice a day.

5. Muscle relaxants would also be helpful for your condition.

6. Please take frequent breaks, while doing work. After every half hour, make sure that you move out of your chair for a few minutes.

Do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and apply warm compresses with a heating pad on the back.

Refresh Your Posture. Apply analgesic gel such as Bengay ultra-strength. It is available as OTC.

Do gentle stretching and gentle exercises.

You can take help from a physical therapist. Physical therapy includes various modalities like - Short wave diathermy, Infrared, and Wax therapy, these will help you a lot.

Please follow suggestions, as we discussed and you would get good results.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Get well soon!

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It isn't sore when I'm sleeping and then after I get up, it gradually starts to get sore but not too severe

Respected Customer,

I fully understand your concern and I feel sorry that you are facing this issue.

The most likely cause is Muscle strain or a pinched nerve.

I would not be worried about any serious concerns.

No need to get panic.

Muscle relaxants would also be helpful for your condition. Like- cyclobenzaprine (Amrix, Flexeril). This can be prescribed by your doctor.

You need to Learn proper stretches from an instructor with experience with low back pain. They can work up to other general strengthening, core muscle strengthening, and aerobic exercises.

Please follow measures, as we discussed and you would get quick improvement.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,

I am available to answer any follow-up questions you may have, so please feel free to ask.

We can continue here until you are satisfied, use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
From what I've told you, in professional opinion do you think it is just muscle strain or something not too serious. It's just with having it for a few weeks, I think I've panicked myself

I am sorry for the delay in reply.

I assure, you that such symptoms are from muscle strain/ pinched nerve.

This is not from any serious issue. You can safely relax.

There is nothing to panic about.

Please take help from the physical therapist and would suggestions, as we discussed.

I hope this helped.

If you still have any follow-up questions, please feel free to ask. I am right here to answer you.

Thank you for the opportunity to help and I wish you all the best.