Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I am having problems with my digestion. I have been

I am having problems with my digestion. I have been diagnosed with IBS a couple years ago but it's really starting to affect my life. I can't go anywhere without having a plan and I'm constantly anxious about it. Some days are better than others but lately I have been feeling like I can't fully empty my bowel and I constantly need the toilet. In fact, about a month ago, the adnominal pain became so bad and I was having rectal bleeding, that my partner called an ambulance. I am concerned that this may be Chrones Disease or UC, as I've never been tested for IBD. I need help.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I have had digestive issues for several years. It possibly became worse after I experienced food poisoning in Egypt. I have tried a few different types of medication but it's still ruining my life.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I often feel tired and run down.
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark. I’m a board certified physician and happy to assist you. How old are you? What are you taking for the ibs?
Do you have diarrhea, constipation or cramps?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi, I am 24 years old and I have been very anxious about this problem as long as I can remember. I was diagnosed with IBS approximately three years ago. I was taking Buscopan, but that seemed to stop working for me. I was then prescribed 185mg mebeverine tablets to be taken three times a day. These seemed to help in the short term, but the prescription was increased to the 200mg modified release capsules approximately 1 year ago. I have also been prescribed 10mg amitriptyline tablets, which was increased to 25mg.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It used to be diarrhea and cramps. However, over the past 6 months, I've been experiencing a mixture of diarrhea and constipation, with even worse cramps
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don't have a bad stomach or pain every day, but because it can come on suddenly, I'm always very worried and anxious about it. I would say I'm unhappy with my stomach pain/bowel movements at least 2 days of the week
I treat many ibs patients. I recommend Metamucil or a similar product once a day and an ibs diet which I will get for you. Also I give severe ibs patients some medication to relax them.
Hycosamine is a tablet we use for the cramps.
https://patient.info/news-and-features/ibs-diet-sheet
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do you think metamucil would cause me to experience diarrhea, because that's what makes me really anxious?
Metamucil is a good bowel regulator. It won’t cause diarrhea.
You can use Imodium AD as needed for diarrhea.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Would you recommend any medication for anxiety? I am already taking amitriptyline and mebeverine. Would you recommend that I take hycosamine and metamucil in addition to these, or instead of?
Hycosamine is similar to mebeverine. I use alprazolam for anxiety.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you very much for all your help
I would start Metamucil. You’re welcome.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I will, I just worry about the increased fibre that may cause my symptoms to worsen. I tend to avoid fibre, but maybe that's not been helping
We use a high fiber diet for ibs.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay, thank you. It's nice to talk to a Doctor about how I'm feeling. I've read good reviews about hyoscyamine for IBS, is this the same as the one you recommended Hycosamine?
I misspelled it. It is hyoscyamine not hycosamine.
You’re welcome btw.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have just looked up some reviews of this medication, and it sounds like it has worked very well for a lot of people. Should I speak to my GP and ask them to prescribe it to me?
It’s what I prescribe and find it very useful.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.