Dr Hayat
Dr Hayat, Consultant Internal and Critical Care Medicine
Experience:  Expert
113699036

Last night I went out to a party. I had maybe 7 beers (the

Last night I went out to a party. I had maybe 7 beers (the glass beers of corona). I was also smoking.At the end of the night, I started to feel panic. I’ve had panic attacks in the past but never when drunk. It wasn’t a full blown panic but because I had drank 7 beers my brain immediately thought that is what is going to cause a heart attack.Anyways I go to the hospital. They did my blood pressure which was 73/128 and my heart rate which was elevated due to being anxious at 100/110 bpm.My resting heart rate is usually around 60.I had no chest pain or anything like that but was just very nervous.They did an EKG and everything looked normal. I went home and went to sleep.I wanted to know, was I in any actual danger or was it all just anxiety?Was that amount of alcohol actually dangerous?I’m 26. Any reassurance that this is mental would be great.

Hi . Dr Hayat here...Sounds more of an anxiety episode..but the amount of beer was higher then it should have been. Just need to be careful with that. Otherwise nothing looks worrying..The BP and heart rate were anxiety driven..

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It does take me 5 to actually get drunk. Could it have caused a cardiac arrest?The drs said I was fine from the test and my BP was quite good.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I drank like this the week before and had no problems
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m generally someone who drinks maybe 5-7 times during a full year

Well it doesn't cause cardiac arrest..

I don't think there is anything to worry 3

*worry about

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
generally I was safe even if I didn’t go to the ER?

Yes..Absolutely...

Hope you don't do drugs ?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No doctor never. Outside of alcohol and smoking during social events
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’ve never done drugs when out
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’ve smoked weed 4 times in my life in my early 20s
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
But that’s it
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I had my heart checked 3 months ago too. Echo, ekg and bp were all normal

Nothing to worry ...You are fine..

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks DR. I’ve been going to the gym since I was 12 years old religiously. Given that I had been drinking and smoking last night am I alright to go back to the gym tomorrow? I sometimes now for some silly reason get anxious when my heart rate goes up. As if it is a sign of concern. My resting heart rate is around 56-60 and my cardiologist said it’s normal for my HR to get up to high numbers when working hard in the gym
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is he right in saying that?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He didn’t do a stress test on me by the way
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He said I didn’t need it

He is absolutely right. You don need any further work up and are good to go..

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks dr hayat!

Pleasure.  Have fun..

Please feel free to contact if you have any further queries or need to follow up