Dr Hayat
Dr Hayat, Consultant Internal and Critical Care Medicine
Experience:  Expert
113699036

I recently had inflammatory arthritis diagnosed in both

I recently had inflammatory arthritis diagnosed in both knees, I am 39, young not old. Then pain in my left hip, now intense pain has gone but its very dysfunctional and deformed the hip, slight movement is difficult and it feels like I always need to try circling the hip to click it sounds unhealthy but it is hard to circle my hip now but it feels better once clicked.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Hip circles make it better but it causes a popping sound. Movement and weight bearing make it worse.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I've bn referred to Rhumateology for my knees recent swelling, fluid was on both knees. But the waiting list times are too high for an apt.

Hi... Dr Hayat here..For how long have the joint symptoms been there ?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My knees inflamed on 26th August both of them, then slightly improved a week and a half after, walking short distances after not being able to bear weight. Then after my hip. The hip dysfunction now the problem has only bn an evening, it was painful 2 days ago.

Are there any other joints involved?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No.

Are the joints red and swollen?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Just the left hip maybe mild problems with the other hip. I was on crutches for my knees when the left hip was very painful.

Any fevers ?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No redness at all. On both my knees there is some mild swelling back again. But no hip swelling just this constant hip sensation that it would feel better to circle my hip all the time but clicking it.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My hip is abit painful now again, the left one.

What time of the day are the symptoms worse..morning or by the end of the day

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Maybe end of day but I don't know it makes a difference, not sure?

Ok..Have you used any meds ?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I tried diclofenac but I stopped because got very bad abdominal pain.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I can't take ibuprofen due to asthma.

Did you have any tests done?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
For my knees I took paracetamol but my hip isn't a major pain right now more a deformity/ dysfunction/ inability to move.

Any tests ?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I had a right knee Xray showing fluid on the knee and an orthopaedic trauma consultant did diagnose inflammatory arthritis in both knees. But my hip wasn't a problem then it is my hip that I am concerned about. I did at 17 years have Seronegative Arthropothy but for 12 years not had it.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I need to walk tomorrow and I'm worried I won't be able to walk.

1. You need physiotherapy of your hip joint.  That would be the most helpful thing here.

2. Need a few tests : RA factor and uric acid

3. A muscle relaxant: tizanidine tab thrice a day

4. A pain killer: co codamol 2 tablet twice a day

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
When I was younger I tested negative for rheumatoid factor hence seronegative arthropothy. I had some blood tests taken but not got the results yet I think they wrote urate.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What do you think my hip is?

Yes. Urate needs to done or chased

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok

Its probably a ligament that is pulled and not at the right place. Will come back with some physio and manipulation

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 15 days ago.

Pleasure.  Please feel free to follow up and come up with any queries if you have ..

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok bye.

TC. Have a nice weekend.