How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Baker Your Own Question
Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4215
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Baker is online now

My brother is going through a Psychotic episode. How can I

Customer Question

My brother is going through a Psychotic episode. How can I help you?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: He is not taking his medications. If he takes his medications he is calm. Otherwise he makes nuisance of himself and I get called by neighbours.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I am at the end of my tether looking after and managing him. What can I do to ensure he takes the medications.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: that’s all for now. Thank you.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is anyone there?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 16 days ago.

I am sorry to hear this. You should contact their doctor to inform them so that they can assess your Brother.

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 16 days ago.

If they have a Mental Health worker you should contact them instead

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 16 days ago.

If you feel this cannot wait and is urgent, call 111 and ask for your local Crisis team

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks for your advice. I will do that but I would like to get some advice on some long term solution to manage him.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
As you are aware, treating or caring for mental health issues are not same right across the board.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Even his GP is not willing to discuss matters with me.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am thinking of moving to a larger house to ensure that he takes his medications on time.
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 16 days ago.

Regular reviews with his doctor is important moving forward and perhaps support from yourself in doing this.

As per ongoing care, this falls under social care if you feel he is unable to look after himself.

his doctor can listen to your concerns, but unless you have your brothers consent in writing, his doctor will not be able to discuss with you

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you Dr Baker. So I understand that I have to get the social services involved.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They have to work with his GP.
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 15 days ago.

I would liase with his GP first as this is where social services would direct you to begin with

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Very valid point. Thank you.