Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Medicine Doctor
6740150

I just had a hot bath and felt relaxed but at the same time

I just had a hot bath and felt relaxed but at the same time noticed my heart rate elevated at around 86-95 bpm. This did made me anxious.I had a cardiac work up done 3 months ago. Everything was good. My BP is around 70/128 but gets high if I’m anxious but always comes down 10 minutes after. I did an EKG last night too and that was all good.Anything to worry about here or just anxiety?No chest pain, no shortness of breath just an elevation in heart rate.I’m 26. Quite active. Been going to the gym for over a decade, but on holiday so only been walking around about 5-10 km per day

Hi there! I’m Dr. Josh, a Board Certified Physician with 15+ years of experience in clinical practice and I would serve you with care and patience.

I'm sorry you are having this issue. I will do my best to help you.

Please note- All phone call requests are auto-generated and you may ignore these requests. Communicating through text chat is just fine with me.

Respected customer,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Before I answer your question, I would like to get some more information:

Do you have pain in the left side of the chest?

Do you have Numbness in your left arm?

I am waiting for your reply..

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No on all counts

Are you on any medications?

Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Currently I am suffering from anxiety and some stress yes but I am not on any medication

Do you have breathing discomfort?

Do you have any other health or medical problems?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No breathing discomfort no and no other health problems

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am currently preparing and typing my answer now, and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

If there is anything else you want to add, would you mind sharing that information? I really want to offer you the best service.

Respected Customer,

I am sorry to hear about your problem and I know how worrisome this situation can be for you but hopefully, we can resolve this.

Well, the normal heart rate for a healthy person ranges from 60 to 100 beats per minute.

Sometimes, the heart might beat slower/ faster, or differently than usual for a few reasons-

· stress, anxiety, or panic

· dehydration

· low potassium

· low blood sugar

· too much caffeine, chocolate, or alcohol.

Stress is one of the common causes of increased heart rate.

Even the weather, like high temperatures or humidity, can raise it.

Having an imbalance of electrolytes, minerals in the body can also raise the pulse rate.

Smoking could also raise pulse rates.

You can follow the below measures-

· Don't smoke.

· Cut back on alcohol, or stop drinking it altogether.

· You can make sure you eat regularly.

· Drink plenty of fluids.

· Get enough sleep.

Please don't worry at all, you are absolutely fine and healthy.

As you have a recent heart test, So I am relaxed.

There is no reason for worry.

It sounds to be anxiety or panic attacks. It doesn't sound to be related to heart disease or any other serious issue.

Please be relaxed.

You would be safe, No need to get panic.

Please calm down.

Sometimes, during a stressful period's such symptoms can come.

-Please avoid caffeine, alcohol.

-Please get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.

-You can laugh more or watch a comedy or read a funny book.

-Connect with friends and family.

-You can go to meditating and yoga, it would quiet your mind.

To be honest and from my clinical experience, I can say that your symptoms are related to Anxiety issues.

Please don't worry and don't think you are a sick person. You can follow healthy eating and lifestyle changes, it would be very useful.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Get well soon!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
it’s quite rare for someone of my age to get a heart attack dr? And that it’s just panic? And that the heart tests I did 3 months can’t change that drastically to cause death? Does the echocardiogram check for blockages? My cardiologist didn’t do a stress test as he said I didn’t need it.Should I be worried doc?

At your age, it is very very rare to get heart issues.

You should not be worried at all, Please be relaxed. I assure, you that such symptoms are from anxiety issues only.

These tests results are very reliable for the next 3-4 years, and your heart is fine and healthy.

Yes, an Echo test would check for atherosclerosis (blockage) inside your blood vessels.

I don't feel the need to go for a stress test.

Please be relaxed.

Your heart is absolutely fine and healthy, there is no reason to panic at all.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,

I am available to answer any follow-up questions you may have, so please feel free to ask.

We can continue here until you are satisfied, use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Dr, josh thank you so much for this. I can’t thank you enough. I’m currently in therapy for panic and anxiety and I’ve been told to just face my fears and become desensitised to them, is that safe to do? It won’t cause any problems will it?

Please wait, for a moment.

You should not overthink your issues.

I assure, that you are fine and healthy, Please be relaxed.

Yes, you should continue with therapy, as you are advised by your doctor.

It would help to resolve anxiety issues.

I hope this helped.

If you still have any follow-up questions, please feel free to ask. I am right here to answer you.

Thank you for the opportunity to help and I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Beyond grateful for your time thank you dr

You are very welcome! I am very glad I could help!