Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I was diagnosed with ovarian failure. I could feel when this

I was diagnosed with ovarian failure. I could feel when this happened as had hot flashes and felt unwell for around 3 weeks. I got blood tests and my oestrogen was less than 18. It is now back in normal range the last few blood tests. Is this a sign the ovaries could be recovering?
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: No not time sensitive. I had 2 blood tests since the first
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am 34 and have a healthy bmi and have a 2 year old baby

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Premature ovarian failure is a difficult condition to treat and there are no specific treatments for this.

Hence it is a very good sign that your estrogen is now back in the normal range.

It means that your ovaries are recovering, and since the normal range has been maintained for some time, they are likely to have recovered completely.

This may mean that you did not have ovarian failure as such but only a temporary stress on the ovary due to some reason such as medicines, etc.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome.. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I do not have a menstrual cycle since March and have high fsh of 70 and lh of 75 at the moment. My doctor advised me to go on hrt but is hrt only needed if the estrogen levels are low?

Yes, HRT is given for low estrogen only.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

One last question! Is it possible to have normal oestrogen levels in premature ovarian failure?

Premature ovarian failure is considered irreversible. Hence if your normal estrogen levels are sustained this would not be premature ovarian failure.