Dr.Shakeel Ansari
Dr.Shakeel Ansari, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Diploma clinical Neurology
111828307

I have a very painful swelling in my gum, above a tooth

i have a very painful swelling in my gum, above a tooth which i know is dead. the pain started last evening and i am taking regular paracetamols. i wonder if i could access antibiotics today as know this is usual practice.. i shall stop blood-thinners before extraction.
JA: Has the swelling been stable or getting worse? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?
Customer: this is a first-time issue and the pain i sgradually getting worse, but not intolerable.
JA: Got it. What dosage of paracetamol are you using? Any allergies to medications or other substances?
Customer: 500 mg paracetemol. allergies to antibiotics in penicillin range.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: only that i had what were believed to be 3 mini strokes last year, thus the blood thinners.

Hi, this is Dr Ansari, welcome to JA

May I know if you can share the pictures of the swelling gums?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
no iam elderly and do not do this. it is not possible to see anything significant just to feel it.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
no i am elderly and do not do this. it is not possible to see anything significant just to feel it.

It's Ok, You may need to contact your GP to give antibiotics if needed. Meanwhile, you can do chlorhexidine mouth wash twice a day.