Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

My son is 16 years old, is losing hair in patches. He has

My son is 16 years old, is losing hair in patches. He has been referred to dermatologist but there are no appointments available
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: He was prescribed betonvate cream which he used for 2 months ....had one patch, now 3 and 4th on way
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He urgently wants to be seen as hes getting more patches

Hi there kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Smoking and alcohol?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He does not have any medical problems and is not taking regular medication (was prescribed antibiotics for swelling on his ear last Friday)Only antibiotics for 5 daysNot smoke or drink alcohol

Can you upload picture of hair loss please

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Attached

Look like he have Alopecia Areata

It is nonscarring, which means that there is no permanent damage to the hair follicle. In most people, new hair eventually grows back in the affected areas, although this process can take months.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How can this be treated quickly to avoid further spreading

There are many treatments available depending upon the how extensive disease is:

As you are worried it is spreading then he might need some blood tests and might need oral steroids or other immune modulating drugs to prevent its further spread

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We need to know how to get it looked at quickly as we are not able to book appointment at the hospital where he's been referred

I would advise to stay calm as it is not something emergency however I understand the psychosocial effects of hair loss can be devastating

If you want it quickly then better to see a skin specialist privately

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is the option you refer to include injections?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do you know of any specialist? We live in Ilford

Hi there I can see many skin clinics in and around Ilford

On of then is RJ Aesthetic Ilford, London. But do call them and discuss situation before making appointment