Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I’ve had issues with my hair. I had itchy scalp and build up

Customer Question

Hi I’ve had issues with my hair. I had itchy scalp and build up of dandruff and now my hair is thinning in patches. Can you help with this issue please
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for requesting me here.
1. May I know your age please?
2. Has there been any stress or any recent acute illness?
3. Are you anemic?
4. Any family history of early balding or male pattern of baldness?
5. Are you currently on any regular medication?
6. When was your thyroid checked last time and how was it?
7. Is there any personal or family history of auto immune disease?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi I’m male and 28. I believe I had corona in December but apart from that I’m fine. I do have balding in my family but not full balding. Everyone has full head of hair. I’m not currently on any medication. I had a blood test and my vitamin d came back low and my parathyroid but my gp told me they were related. My vitamin d was about 17. No auto immune disease in family
I understand your concern and thank you for the images.
You seem to be having what we refer to as telogen effluvium.
This is a reversible condition in which hair falls out after a stressful experience.
The stress pushes large numbers of hair follicles into a resting phase. Within a few months, those hairs can fall out. Types of stress can include surgery, childbirth and serious illness.
Hair loss is the main symptom.
In many cases, no treatment is required and the hair often grows back when the stress goes away.
Whenever our body goes through any mental or physical stress like surgery, any illness, pregnancy etc our hair goes into resting phase. This is called telogen. After about 3 months from the stress and acute illness it can start.
Usually we recommend - vitamin supplements for 3 months as it can take that long to see improvement.
Good ones would be -
1. Biotin 10 mg once a day
2. OTC iron and calcium supplements.
3. Capsule Nutrafol is another good option.
4. Minoxidil lotion (5% is better than 2%) twice daily on the scalp. It takes 3 months to see good visible improvement.
You can also visit this website for good haircare products please.
www.elonhair.comI sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!
Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My scalp is itchy though
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
where it is itchy is where it is thinning
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’ve been on antibiotics before for folliculitis
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
One of the pictures I sent you can see my scalp was red. This went after I used nizarol shampoo but itchiness is still there
Oh, is it, then it might be a scalp seborrhea and the most common fungus is Malassezia furfur.
Shampoos:
Dandruff can be treated with over-the-counter anti-dandruff shampoos. Several types of anti-dandruff shampoos are available, with the main difference between them being the active ingredient.
For patients with mild seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp who have diffuse, fine dandruff I suggest treatment with an antifungal shampoo. Antifungal shampoos include 2% Ketoconazole and 1% Ciclopirox (these are precriptoin drug shampoos). Over the counter options include 1% Zinc Pyrithone and 2.5% Selenium Sulfide.
All of these treatments are equally effective after four weeks of use.
1. Selenium sulfide (Selsun and Exelderm).
2. Tar  (Z-Tar, Pentrax, DHS tar, Ionil T plus, and T-Gel extra strength).
3. Zinc pyrithione (Head and Shoulders, Zincon, and DHS zinc).
4. Ketoconazole (Nizoral 1%).Method to use and apply:
Five to 10 mL of shampoo should be left on for three to five minutes before rinsing off. Ketononazole shampoo should be used twice a week for two to four weeks in the treatment phase. Likewise Ciclopirox shampoo for twice-weekly use for four weeks, not for more often than every three days.
Subsequently, the use of the medicated shampoo once a week may be helpful to prevent relapse. Minor adverse effects, such as irritation and/or burning sensation, are common with antifungal shampoo.The technique of rotation: THIS IS VERY SIMPLE - BUT VERY EFFECTIVE.
Patients sometimes complain that their shampoo is no longer effective. This is because some strains of Malassezia eventually become resistant to azole antifungals. So I usually advise, it may be wise to rotate the shampoos, every few weeks to months.
For patients with moderate to severe seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp who have scale, inflammation, and itching I suggest treatment with an anti-fungal shampoo in combination with a high-potency topical corticosteroid in a formulation (lotion, spray aerosol, or foam) of patient choice. Topical corticosteroids can be used daily for two to four weeks.
The addition of a salicylic acid shampoo to the above regimen may be helpful for patients with thick scale.
If the condition worsens, consult with a dermatologist in person.
Your dermatologist may prescribe topical corticosteroids or antifungal drugs to treat itching and inflammation.
Try to avoid applying oil to scalp.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Will my hair regrow where it is thinning after?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Also my hair and scalp become very oily If I don’t wash it. So should I wash more frequently
follow the rotation technique.
It will grow, don't worry.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for assurance
Get well soon!
I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease.
In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.
You can approach me directly at the following link please -
https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800