Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

My wife (58yo) had a full knee replacement surgery 3 days

My wife (58yo) had a full knee replacement surgery 3 days ago (Friday evening). We knew this was a very major operation (op) albeit a routine one & knew that at least in the first week or so post-op she would not be too well in terms of pain in particular as was the case with some friends who’d had the same surgery in recent years. Currently she is feeling nauseous (which is subsiding) with total lack of apetite (today laxatives to get her bowel moving) & although pain has abated somewhat but it is still painfully painful & at times she cannot move her leg at all due to v high grade pain. She is still under medical care at the hospital & is unlikely to be discharged as yet as she is not in a position to walk yet. Just wondering: this level of pain and nausea etc described above is not entirely unusual with this big type of operation, is it?

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Could I ask if there were any complications post surgery?

It is quite normal to have pain after major surgery. The nausea could be due to surgery itself or side effect of painkillers. This is will improve over time.

As long as there are no major complications, her symptoms will settle down

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello and many thanks for that. The surgeon was very pleased with the way the op went and there were no complications reported. So we assume the severe pain and other issues such as nausea and lightheadedness should all subside eventually. Thank you but if any other comments please do let me know.

Yes all these symptoms will resolve over the next few days. Also you should be informed of any issues if or when they arise. I’m sure she’ll recover soon.