How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gupta Your Own Question
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 10715
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Gupta is online now

I’m 67, I have a history of heart problems AF being one of

This answer was rated:

Hi my name is*****’m 67, I have a history of heart problems AF being one of them and about 8 weeks ago was diagnosed with Heart failure. It got to the point of trying to walk a few steps at a time and then stop to catch my breath. I was in hospital nearly 3 weeks every time they did a heart scan it was always at rest on the bed which of course would give a misguided reading. Then another team would come to the ward and make me walk in th corridor and attempt the stairs, by the time I’d gone halfway up I was pulling for breath my heart was beating out my chest I thought I was going to die. After a few days they sent me home with a Zimmer frame. Nothing in place and no change as regards ***** ***** Is this my life now or is there more that can be done to help me?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: no known history. My health is not good
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i have had 2 heart attacks and am insulin required diabetic and had a stroke

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Gupta and I can help you today. I'll be back in a moment with my reply!


I am so sorry to hear that,

We cannot be sure without knowing the exact reports of your heart as to the cause of your severe exercise intolerance,

I am sure there are ways to help you, please contact a heart doctor and get their appointment to help you out,

Warm regards

Dr. Gupta and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is there anything that can be done
Yes. No

Dear Alan,

It is frustrating, but there are many options for heart failure, there are medicines that can improve the heart contraction, there are others that can reduce the pressure on the heart, there are even meds that can help strengthen the heart muscles,

It will depend on the cardiologist assessment to decide how to proceed in your case,

Doctors usually treat heart failure with a combination of medications. Depending on your symptoms, you might take one or more medications, including:

Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. These drugs relax blood vessels to lower blood pressure, improve blood flow and decrease the strain on the heart. Examples include enalapril (Vasotec, Epaned), lisinopril (Zestril, Qbrelis, Prinivil) and captopril.

Angiotensin II receptor blockers. These drugs, which include losartan (Cozaar), valsartan (Diovan) and candesartan (Atacand), have many of the same benefits as ACE inhibitors. They may be an option for people who can't tolerate ACE inhibitors.

Beta blockers. These drugs slow your heart rate and reduce blood pressure. Beta blockers may reduce signs and symptoms of heart failure, improve heart function, and help you live longer. Examples include carvedilol (Coreg), metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol-XL, Kapspargo Sprinkle) and bisoprolol.

Diuretics. Often called water pills, diuretics make you urinate more frequently and keep fluid from collecting in your body. Diuretics, such as furosemide (Lasix), also decrease fluid in your lungs so you can breathe more easily.

Because diuretics make your body lose potassium and magnesium, your doctor may also prescribe supplements of these minerals. If you're taking a diuretic, your doctor will likely monitor levels of potassium and magnesium in your blood through regular blood tests.

Aldosterone antagonists. These drugs include spironolactone (Aldactone, Carospir) and eplerenone (Inspra). These are potassium-sparing diuretics that have additional properties that may help people with severe systolic heart failure live longer.

Unlike some other diuretics, spironolactone and eplerenone can raise the level of potassium in your blood to dangerous levels, so talk to your doctor if increased potassium is a concern, and learn if you need to modify your intake of food that's high in potassium.

Inotropes. These medications are given by IV to people with severe heart failure who are in the hospital. Inotropes help the heart pump blood more effectively and maintain blood pressure.

Digoxin (Lanoxin). This drug, also called digitalis, increases the strength of your heart muscle contractions. It also tends to slow the heartbeat. Digoxin reduces heart failure symptoms in systolic heart failure. It may be more likely to be given to someone with a heart rhythm problem, such as atrial fibrillation.

Hydralazine and isosorbide dinitrate (BiDil). This drug combination helps relax blood vessels. It may be added to your treatment plan if you have severe heart failure symptoms and ACE inhibitors or beta blockers haven't helped.

Vericiguat (Verquvo). This newer medicine for chronic heart failure is taken once a day by mouth. It's a type of drug called an oral soluble guanylate cyclase (sGC) stimulator. In studies, people with high-risk heart failure who took vericiguat had fewer hospital stays for heart failure and heart disease-related deaths compared with those who received an inactive pill (placebo).

Other medications. Your doctor may prescribe other medications to treat specific symptoms. For example, some people may receive nitrates for chest pain, statins to lower cholesterol or blood-thinning medications to help prevent blood clots.

Your doctor may need to adjust your doses frequently, especially when you've just started a new medication or when your condition is worsening.

Read more here

Warm regards