Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I fell over backwards on a beach and hit my tailbone on a

Hi, I fell over backwards on a beach and hit my tailbone on a granite rock. Its agony when I'm sitting down unless I'm leaning forward and it hurts to lay on my back. I can't see any bruising or swelling. What I want to know is what is the best thing I can do to relieve the pain and help recovery.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I did it on Thursday just gone. Standing relieves the pain sitting is very painful
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I'm menopausal but thats it really

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

The tail bone is called the Coccyx. Pain in the area of the coccyx is called Coccydynia.

There are many causes of such pain. One of the commonest triggers of such pain is an injury, when a person falls down on his tail. THis is the cause for you. Other causes of such pain are pilonodal cyst, tarlov cysts, etc. In a large number of cases, no specific cause of the pain can be identified.

You can try initially with some home treatment for this:

Avoid prolonged sitting

Use a specially designed 'coccyx cushion', you can get this online.

Alternate cold and warm compresses

Use a hand held massager in this region to get relief

Avoid constipation as far as possible – take a lot of fluids and high fiber diet.

Take OTC painkillers like Motrin when pain is severe

Physiotherapy is the most important – do the exercises given in the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUgpqgfNzzY

If the pain persists, you have to show your doctor.

Your doctor can treat this by:

Steroid injections

Nerve blocks

Surgery – this is the last resort.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome.. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you so much. I'll try there things you've suggested