Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I was twisting and bending my neck in an awkward position

I was twisting and bending my neck in an awkward position for one week, I kept checking on the side of my abdomom on my actual side, I carried two bags of coal also then the day after I was eating dinner and half way through my dinner I started feel a strange sensation everytime I swallowed, it's more of a discomfort than a pain. When I swallow solid foods it happens, as soon as I swallow solid foods the sensation/discomfort happens and when the food passes on down the sensation/discomfort instantly goes away. Until I swallow again. I believe I have strained my trapezius muscle but is this normal when you strain to much for these symptoms to occur when swallowing? No medical history, I don't drink or smoke I'm no on medication. The sensation/discomfort has been there for two weeks everytime I swallow solid foods but once the passes on down the sensation/discomfort stops instantly. Is this because I strained my trapezius muscle after bending and twisting my neck for a whole week in an awkward position? I will send photos of location.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The orange spot is the location.

This is because of the strain in the trapezius muscle.

During swallowing, some pressure is put on the shoulder girdle also. Because you have some strain in the trapezius, this strain becomes apparent when you swallow.

This is not concerning.

Do some stretching exercises for the trapezius muscle, that will be sufficient for you to get rid of this sensation.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome.. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
You are amazing, Doctor. I was so worried. So, the sensation/discomfort when I swallow as the food goes down when goes away until I swallow food again is only because of the strain I put on my neck?? Its been there for two weeks and hasn't eased. How long on average will it take to heal?

It will heal within a month dont worry.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I will give you a good review doctor. Last question. This definitely isn't a sign of a tumor or any cancer? I should rest and relax now?

Yes definitely not a sign of anything serious dont worry. It isnt any cancer for sure.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My mind is at ease now. Thank you Doctor. I will give a good review. God bless.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, doc. Just an update. The sensation/discomfort I feel when I swallow solid foods, is just like when you stretch your neck downward to far, do you know that sensation? Thats the same sensation I feel in my back when I swallow each bit of food. So it does sound lika a muscular sprain, isn't that right doctor?I didn't know how to describe it earlier, but that's the closest I can get to describing the discomfort, sensation when swollowing each bit of food in my back.

Yes thats definitely just a muscular issue.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you doc. Yes when I move certain ways when sleeping I would feel sprain feeling at that location. I will just take things easy and apply lots of heat all the time.

Yes you can do that. You are also developing an unnecessary health anxiety about this.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
You are very right doctor. I just never experienced a sensation/discomfort in my back when swallowing each piece of food. But you are a professional so I will take your advice and give it plenty of time to heal. Thank you Doctor.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The anxiety came from another doctor on just answer telling me that I need to act upon it and get an MRI scan to check my spine because the discomfort/sensation when swallowing food should not still be there after two weeks.

Ok. You need not ask around too much as you will get conflicting advise.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Your right. I'm taking your advice, this is totally normal after straining my neck for a week, I simply over used my back muscle while staining my neck, and that's why I feel discomfort in back when swallowing food even though it hasn't eased it two weeks. It takes time to heal that's all, isn't that right doctor?

Yes thats right

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you. I will write you a good review since you have been very kind to me. Thank you.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
One last question doctor then that's me finished. I don't feel that discomfort in my back when I cough or sneeze only when swallowing in my back, is this completely normal?

Yes thats normal too.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you for your kindness and professionalism. God bless you.

Glad to help.