Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

My abdomom on my actual side, I carried two bags of coal

my abdomom on my actual side, I carried two bags of coal also then the day after I was eating dinner and half way through my dinner I started feel a strange sensation everytime I swallowed, it's more of a discomfort than a pain. When I swallow solid foods it happens, as soon as I swallow solid foods the sensation/discomfort happens and when the food passes on down the sensation/discomfort instantly goes away. Until I swallow again. I believe I have strained my trapezius muscle but is this normal when you strain to much for these symptoms to occur when swallowing? No medical history, I don't drink or smoke I'm no on medication. The sensation/discomfort has been there for two weeks everytime I swallow solid foods but once the passes on down the sensation/discomfort stops instantly. Is this because I strained my trapezius muscle after bending and twisting my neck for a whole week in an awkward position? I will send photos of location.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The orange spot is the location

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
OK.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
8 was looking at my abdomom on my actual side for a full week in an awkward position.

Can I ask if you have had any recent trauma?

And is there any swelling, cough, breathing issues or fever?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not at all. I was looking down at my side, checking on a mole which is fine. But I was straining my neck to look down at my side for a whole week.

This sounds like muscular strain from carrying something and being in an awkward position. You probably just pulled a muscle in your back.

This is common injury and benign. You can either get pain or ache, and it can be aggravated by swallowing and breathing.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The trapezius muscle?? Everytime I swallow food I feel a sensation/discomfort in that location in the picture, I feel it as the food passes then the sensation/discomfort instantly goes away until I swallow more food. So this is completely normal after a strain and after I stretched my neck in awkward position for a full week??

This should settle down in the next few days to a week. You should avoid exertion, heavy lifting and sudden moves.
You can also try paracetamol or ibuprofen gel if you’re not allergic to these.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It's been there for 2 weeks and hasn't eased. How long on average will it take?? A month or so??

Yes trapezius muscle and possibly inner smaller muscles. All these are involved in breathing and swallowing, so it is normal to have that sensation when you swallow.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Great doctor I was so worried. Last question then I will give a review.This definitely isn't a sign of cancer or tumor?

It varies from person to person and depends on severity. It can last from a few days to a few weeks depending on how well you look after those muscles and rest from exerting.

No this doesn’t sound like cancer at all. Cancer doesn’t present in this way. But if you develop any new symptoms, please let us or your GP know.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Nothing has changed my breathing is fine and no cough either. Even when I do cough I don't feel that sensation only when I swallow.So all those muscles are connected when swallowing at that location at its simply a strain?

That’s right so do not worry. The sensation will resolve over time.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** bless you.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Should I do stretches for trapezius muscle or will that make it worse?

You can do mild stretches and exercise.
You are welcome

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

You’re welcome

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, doc. Just an update. The sensation/discomfort I feel when I swallow solid foods, is just like when you stretch your neck downward to far, do you know that sensation? Thats the same sensation I feel in my back when I swallow each bit of food. So it does sound lika a muscular sprain, isn't that right doctor?I didn't know how to describe it earlier, but that's the closest I can get to describing the discomfort, sensation when swollowing each bit of food in my back.

Yes it does sound like muscular sprain and it is not anything dangerous. It will resolve.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** tried doing neck stretching but made my back worse and the sensation. So I should rest it only and apply heat?

Yes you can rest it for now. You can use heat therapy if it helps.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. You have been more than kind to me. God bless.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
One more thing
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Heat doesn't help will the cold help better?

Yes you can use either heat or cold, whichever works better for you.

You are welcome