Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

I believe I’m in need of urgent care but cannot get it in

I believe I’m in need of urgent care but cannot get it in the Uk. I suffer with crippling neck, ear spasms, which causes secondary symptoms like, difficultly holding my head up for more than a few minutes. Nausea and vomiting, back and occipital pain and temple pain. Difficulty walking due to balance issues. Tinnitus, tingling and nerve pain in my arms and legs. I cannot cope, pain medication doesn’t help. Only medication for muscle spasms which my gp cannot prescribe.I am referred to a neurologist in neuro motor disorders, that doesn’t believe this is an urgent matter or necessarily his responsibility to treat. He’s booked my next appointment in the end of January which is too far to live with this. I’ve lived with this for 4 years and each year it gets more disabling and I think it’s reached its peak. I cannot go to a&e as they just turn me away and says you gp can treat muscle spasms and chronic pain better. My gp cannot prescribe benzodiazepines or baclofen ( I’ve never tried baclofen). I don’t know what to do. I’m in agony.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My neurologist says I can’t have cervical dystonia as he cannot visibly see my neck spasms only the ear spasms. X-ray and mri and ct scans of brain and neck are normal, except for a loss of cervical lordosis which is likely due to muscle spasms.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (SLM4V61)

Hi there what medications you are on at the moment?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Nothing at all, they won’t treat me as nothing works. I’ve tried, naproxen, noritriptyline, carbamazepine, thy don’t work because none of these target muscle spasms.

Have you tried Tizanidine?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No, does it’s have the risk of addiction like Valium?

Tizanidine is used to relieve the spasms and increased muscle tone.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
How can I get hold of this, can a gp prescribe or does it need to be a specialist

I think you need a specialist to prescribe it. They should not have any problem as it is not addictive as valium

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Is there a way to see a neurologist urgently, as my neurologist won’t see me till January and I can’t cope till then, I had a fall 2 weeks ago.

The only other option is to see a neurologist prvately

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Do the neurologist at queen square have emergency appointments or only normal outpatient appointments. Because the last time, I saw a private neurologist the first couldn’t do anything due to the lack of investigation. The second gave me Botox in my ear, which helped the ear not the neck, said they cannot do more Botox without an EMG study. Which queen square will do eventually. I don’t have a lot of money as my savings went to supporting myself for 4 years whilst not working due to this.

I would suggest better talk to GP first about Tizanidine, he might be helpful

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** other medications worth suggesting?

Cyclobenzaprine

Best of luck