Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

My daughter is 2.5 rs old. she has had a bad cold for 5 days

My daughter is 2.5 rs old. she has had a bad cold for 5 days and bad cough. No temperature. She hasnt been eating or drinking today and now she is crying uncontrollably even though she is very tored and neeeds to sleep. should i b worried?
JA: Has your daughter used any medication for the cold?
Customer: we gave her calpol a few days ago but not since. she seemed on the mend but now has woken up and is wailing crying as if in pain We are worried she is dehydrated as she wont drink
JA: Got it. Has she seen a doctor about the cold?
Customer: no. we thought it was just a cold
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about your daughter.

Is it just today that she hasn't been eating and drinking?

Any rash or fevers now?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No rash or fever

Okay thanks. So if it is just today they haven't eaten and drank much, then you could observe them and see how they are for tomorrow.

If they haven't been eating and drinking for a few days, they are not passing urine, they are much more sleepy than normal, they are constantly under 50% of their normal feeds and drink for 24 hours, then they should be seen to be assessed.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
she has not been eating and drinking well for 5 days now, no rash or fever

Thanks, ***** ***** get her seen then. If nothing has worsened today, it seems reasonable to wait until tomorrow, otherwise you have the out of hour GPs if required.