Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

Question for Dr Saleem please

Question for Dr Saleem please
Hi , thanks for your post . How may I help you today
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello.
we discussed my mother a few weeks ago. she is 78. an echo showed her aortic valve has narrowed. the peak gradient is 64mmhg.she just had an mri. the doctor says the heart muscle is functioning well but the AVA is 1cm2 so the stenosis is now severe.he recommends a follow up echo in 6 months unless she develops symptoms and said they would look then at valve replacement.is this okay to leave for 6 months?
is she safe?
will she need surgery?
is the surgery safe?
Hi , sorry to hear that . Well as she is 78 so the threshold for surgery could be a bit higher then at a younger age . That’s largely because of the risks of surgery . However it’s a very commonly done surgery these days and pretty safe . Ideally , she should have the valve replaced if she is symptomatic with severe aortic valve stenosis .
Regarding how safe or risky the surgery would be , it depends upon a number of factors like her past medical history / other medical conditions/ general health etc . So her doctor should be the best person to comment on that
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
he said the surgery is not invasive. what does it entail? how dangerous is it?she had a bypass 5 years ago. And a TIA 6 weeks ago.
the surgery is called “minimally invasive” because it uses a smaller incision than a traditional open repair. This may lead to easier and faster recovery from surgery.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
what is the mortality rate for someone like her?
For moderate-to-severe aortic stenosis, mortality rates from the onset of symptoms are approximately 25% at 1 year and 50% at 2 years. She has severe AS and unfortunately the mortality rate is high that’s why urgent replacement is recommended
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
are you saying it is not safe to wait 6 months as the doctor said?
I have given you the stats on mortality rate, rest doctors have different management approach . It also depends upon her symptoms how she has been coping with it
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
she says she does not have symptoms.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
she does get breathless on exertion and has swollen legs but that has been for 5 years and predates this issue
It might be okay to wait then but I can’t say it would be risk free .
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you