Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

Dr Shahid are you there?

Dr Shahid are you there?

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. How can I help?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello.
we discussed my mother a few weeks ago. she is 78. an echo showed her aortic valve hasnarrowed. the peak gradient is 64mmhg.she just had an mri. the doctor says the heart muscle is functioning well but the AVA is 1cm2 so the stenosis is now severe.he recommends a follow up echo in 6 months unless she develops symptoms and said they would look then at valve replacement.is this okay to leave for 6 months?
is she safe?
will she need surgery?
is the surgery safe?

I would push to move towards surgery now. Symptoms can be mild and often not noticed as 'symptoms'. The main ones being any shortness of breath, chest discomfort or dizziness, does she truly not have any symptoms?

Once it's severe it's never going to get better on its own. Surgery is safe, the risk of something going wrong is between 1-2% and the risk of leaving a severe valve - approximately half of such people will survive to 5 years (if no surgery done) otherwise it can approach normal life expectancy. It isn't something super critical that it needs doing this second but waiting another 6 months just to see that it's still severe (or slightly worse) seems somewhat pointless

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you.
I don't know why he said to wait.
pointless I don't mind as long as she is not at risk?

She's not at any express risk, it may just be worth asking them for a referral to meet one of the surgeons to at least discuss the options, tailored to her medical history/physical status.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you

You're always welcome. Glad I could help. All the very best.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you very much