Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I have questions about fluoxetine, I am using it right now,

I have questions about fluoxetine
JA: Have you used Fluoxetine or anything similar before?
Customer: I am using it right now
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about this?
Customer: Yes but I have recently moved to the UK as a student so I haven't been able to make an appointment yet
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have a history of severe OCD and depression. A year ago, I had a complete breakdown due to constant intrusive thoughts, negative feelings, physical and mental pain.

Hi. Dr Hayat here..How can I help you today

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello over the past 2-3 months fluoxetine 40 mg dramatically improved my symptoms and now I am on 60 mg but I am feeling heightened anxiety for some reason and a bit hopeless.

HI, thanks for getting in touch. I wonder if you should return to the 40mg dose. Why was it increased may I ask?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I still had a little bit of anxiety after taking 40 mg
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Although I switched from taking a combo of 40 and 20 at the same time to just one 60 pill. Could that have an effect on me as I get used to taking it in one pill?

No as it's the same compound and dose ultimately. 60mg is quite high. There could be benefit in taking 40mg one day and alternating with 60mg. Alternatively with a bit of time, the anxiety from dose increase often does settle, usually it takes around 2 weeks to do so.

Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience: MBChB