Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, including surgery, general medicine, and pain.
18722459

My mother is type 2 diebetic. She had to get a blood test

My mother is type 2 diebetic. She had to get a blood test done over a month ago and the doctor called her telling her to go up to the hospital, so she did, she got blood urine and xrays done and it showed that her kidney levels where a little low but they sent her straight home because it wasn't very concerning as her levels came back to more normal in kidneys. A month later the doctor called saying she needs another blood test done because the last blood test showed low count and she goes for that blood next week.the doctor told her on the phone that it could be her iron levels but eventually she might need a camera down to look at her stomach. Why on earth would her doctor say that when he told her the blood count is low and most likely her iron levels. She is terrified and worried sick about this. My mother is 64 years old.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
By low count do you mean her hemoglobin?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He just the blood count was low and could be iron levels. Then he said oh but later down the line may need a camera to check stomach. How does that even match? Now she isn't even sleeping with worry.

If the levels are low she might be losing blood in her GI tract as with gastritis or a peptic ulccer

But that isn't the end of the world since both can be easily treated

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The doctor asked her if she was bleeding and she is not bleeding anywhere at all.. She Google it and it told her cancer is the cause. Now she is in a mess.

Not cancer and this kind of bleeding isn't noticeable

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I must let her know this because I have even lost sleep trying to keep her calm. She feels completely fine health wise. She even quit smoking today and through all her cigarettes in the fire. That's how much she is terrified. Although that's the right thing to do. So, Doctor, this isn't anything life threat then? The doctor told her get bloods taken again next week but it's not urgent if it was he would have her up at hospital. I got angry when he told her she might need a camera down her throat way in the future and at the same time he said it's probably just iron levels.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Will she need a camera for gastritis or to check for ulcer?

Not at all life threatening and she's upset over nothing

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I will let her know your professional opinion, Doctor. Thank you for this.

My pleasure