FarokhW
FarokhW,
Experience:  Expert
112594791

I have severe leg stiffness and weakness in my legs, I had

Customer Question

I have severe leg stiffness and weakness in my legs
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: I had severe back pain on my left hand side above my buttock I am on tramadol which helps the pain, I need a crutch and someone’s arm to hold on to when out, I’m fine when sitting or lying down
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the back pain?
Customer: yes was given tramadol, 1 twice a day
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am still awaiting a response
Expert:  FarokhW replied 8 months ago.

I am Dr Wadia. I am an Orthopaedic Surgeon and will try my best to answer your question today.

May I ask how old you are?

How long have you had these symptoms for?

Is it just back pain or do you get pain down the back of thigh and leg too?

Does the Tramadol relieve the pain?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am a 58 year old female overweight, I do not have pain in my legs but I do struggle to lift them when walking upstairs, the tramadol most certainly help with the pain
Expert:  FarokhW replied 8 months ago.

Ok. Thank you for the additional information.

From what you describe I am gathering that you have mainly left sided lower back and buttock pain, you are struggling with walking and climbing stairs, but are comfortable sitting and lying down.

This could be resulting from nerves getting pinched on your spinal canal....medically termed as neurogenic claudication.

If the symptoms are acute (<6 weeks), then the treatment is predominantly conservative. Pain killers (Tramadol and NSAID such as Ibuprofen if you can tolerate that), rest, physiotherapy, local heat treatment, etc would help.

If symptoms have been present for > 6 weeks, then this needs investigating further with an MRI scan for sure.

You will need to visit your GP and get referred to a Spine surgeon for the same.

Very rarely these symptoms can be secondary to hip arthritis too and this can be ruled out with a simple hip X-ray.

Hope this information is helpful.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If this is arthritis would it effect both legs? It has been well over a year and gradually got worse, but I appreciate your help so much Dr.Wadia
Expert:  FarokhW replied 8 months ago.

Both legs would generally suggest spinal problems rather than hip arthritis. Although I can only make general statements without examining you.

But if things have been going on for a year, and you have to use a crutch to walk now, then I would strongly urge a referral to an Orthopaedic or Spine surgeon or both.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh my goodness I’m worried sick , thank you
Expert:  FarokhW replied 8 months ago.

Sorry did not mean to alarm you. But we all tend to put up with a lot before seeking medical help.