Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

My 7 year old boy has had Encopresis for a year now. We’re

Hello there.
My 7 year old boy has had Encopresis for a year now. We’re struggling with it. Our doctor will prescribe laxatives, we do this, we think we’ve nailed it, about 2 weeks later we’re back to soiling his pants again. We’re a very healthy family so he eats plenty of fruit, veg and fibre. Still nothing helps. We’ve been on the waiting list for the specialist for 7 months now. Would you have any advice on how to target this problem please? He’s at junior school now so it’s quite embarrassing for him and I should add that he is autistic so cannot communicate well. Everyday after school I’ll put him in a nappy which is very confusing for him. Any advice is much appreciated thank you.

You may feel angry or frustrated when your child keeps pooing themselves. But they are not doing it on purpose and may not even realise it's happening.

Soiling usually happens when a child is so constipated that a large, hard piece of poo becomes stuck at the end of their gut (rectum). Fresh poo from higher up the gut then runs around the hard poo and leaks out, staining their pants.

Although it is not an easy task but there are few things you can do at home:

1. Set up a regular toilet routine for your child – for example, they could sit on the toilet for 5 minutes every day after each meal and before going to bed

2. Be positive and encouraging – you could use a star chart to reward your child for sitting on the toilet (whether or not they do a poo), or leave some toys or books next to the toilet

3. Encourage your child to go to the toilet as soon as they get the urge to during the day

4. Make sure your child is drinking plenty of fluids and has enough fibre in their diet

5. Encourage your child to be physically active 

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. Although I had already read this from google search.

I agree with you most of the information you can find on google search but in your child case they need to examine him to make further management plan. Until that we have to use simple measures to help him improve as much as we can

Also he has communication issues which make things more difficult. Is he already on some laxatives?