Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD, PhD
9324755

Heart rate increase when drinking alcohol

heart rate increase when drinking alcohol

Greetings,
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi,I would like to enquire about my heart rate when drinking alcohol. My family doesn't have any history of serious heart issues. My grandfather and father both have experienced heart palpitations in the past but the doctors couldn't find anything wrong with their heart. I have also had blood tests done and an ECG on my heart at the start of this year due to having an increased heart rate- this was put down to anxiety by Watford A&E after the blood tests came back clear and I'm currently having CBT to treat my anxiety.When I drink alcohol, when I'm starting to feel drunk, my heart rate increases quite a bit, I'm not sure on the exact number as I don't wear my watch that monitors the heart rate as it was effecting my health anxiety quite a lot but when I did wear it and checked when drunk, I remember it being 120-130 when drunk. Normal sleeping rate is 52-65 and normal resting is 60-85 ususally (numbers taken from AppleWatch).I don't drink very often, I only do so socially and when I get drunk, my heart rate increases quite a bit for a few hours until I sober up and goes back down to a 'normal' rate of below 100. When drunk, it does trigger my anxiety, but only because of the heart rate increase which doesn't help but initially it does spike up after I have a few drinks. Even if I don't notice any anxiety coming on, if I place my hand on my chest, my heart rate is increased quite a bit when drunk.Is this a normal thing to happen? Should I be concerned here?Thanks
Jack

Please wait.

I am writing the answer.

Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for the input.

I am very sorry for your symptoms.

I understand your concern.

It is common to have higher heart rate from drinking.

The more you drink, the rate increases accordingly.

Here is a good study on it.

https://www.escardio.org/The-ESC/Press-Office/Press-releases/drinking-alcohol-makes-your-heart-race

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

Your satisfaction is my goal.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you I will give the article a read. Is this something I should be concerned about? Also, with my sleeping and normal resting heart rate figures I included above, are these normal numbers?

It is not concerning but you need to limit the intake of alcohol if it goes too high.

Yes, your sleeping & resting are good.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
When you say ''too high'' what number should I start to limit/stop the intake of alcohol? Thanks

If it goes above 120, you need to limit.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you. Do we know the cause of this? Is it because of the anxiety it may cause? My bodies ability to not handle the alcohol?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Also, sorry to keep asking questions. When I eat certain foods/over eat, my heart rate will also increase quite a bit for a few hours until I've digested and it will come down again. This is sometimes over 100 bpm. The same goes for social situations and general worries, but I think this is down to my anxiety

You are welcome.

Alcohol has an effect on heart.

Anxiety itself can increase the rate.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
When I eat certain foods/over eat, my heart rate will also increase quite a bit for a few hours until I've digested and it will come down again. This is sometimes over 100 bpm. Is this normal and should I be concerned here?Apologies for all the questions

Some food may increase the rate.

Around 100 is ok.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Alright thanks for the answers!

You are welcome.
Wish you a healthy life.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you the same