Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

I was twisting my neck for a full week in an awkward

I was twisting my neck for a full week in an awkward position, checking a mole on my side, the mole is fine. and I also hurt my left shoulder blade. I also carried two bags of coal and then the day after while eating my dinner half way through it,I started feeling a discomfort/sensation on left side of spine at upper back, I do believe I strained my trapezius muscle but I'm just double checking that it's completely normal to feel a discomfort/sensation in my back with each swallow of solid foods, as the food goes down I feel the discomfort/ sensation then it goes away instantly once the food goes on down, until I swallow another piece of food. The discomfort/sensation has been there for 16 days. I'm no longer getting twitching in back since I sprained it which is good but is it normal to feel this discomfort/sensation when swollowing each piece of food and is it normal to still be there after spraining neck and hurting shoulder blade?I will show you a picture of the location of the discomfort/sensation each time I swallow solid foods.No medical history or anything like that.The discomfort/sensation is at the orange mark in picture.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The location with orange dot.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK.

This does indeed sound like a strain, swallowing if moving your chest wall muscles can indirectly move some of the back, therefore this could explain this sensation on swallowing.

You could try anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen to help with this, but should continue to resolve over the next week or so.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Doctor I haven't slept in two days with worry because another doctor told me it could be an ulcer in windpipe even though I don't have one symptom of that.

An ulcer would cause pain at the front, most likely in the epigastric region, not where you suggest.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The sensation/discomfort only started when I strained my neck for one full week. Its been there for 16 days now the sensation when swallowing food it goes away as soon as the food goes on down, with each piece of food I swallow.The twitching in muscles has stopped and the sprain feeling in back and neck is slowly going away but the sensation/disc3when swallowing is still there.Can this take around 3 or 4 weeks to heal, Doctor?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sensation discomfort is still there I meant.

Muscle injuries can indeed take a good few weeks to settle

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It's definitely not a sign of a tumor or cancer?

Certainly not, I would perhaps speak with your GP given your anxiety about this.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No way, doc. If its completely down to the excessive straining then I can finally sleep now, becuase of you.Last question since the sensation/discomfort has been there for 16 days with every time I swallow solid foods as the food goes down. This is completely normal with a trapezius muscle at the location in picture and it can take much longer that 16 days for sensation/discomfort when swallowing foods to heal?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Like a month? To heal

Given the timing and history, yes, this is what it seems. A muscle strain can take this long and sometimes a bit longer.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Fantastic Doctor. Because the trapezius muscle is a long muscle and is related to the lyrynx, pharynx and Sternocleidomastoid muscle via never xi (accessory nerve.So it's obviously the sprain doc, that I caused in my neck isn't that right doctor.Once you reply I will give you a good review.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
You have also seen patients with such symptoms like mine?That's all my questions doc.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also at the beginning of injury my back would get sore after eating to fast.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can you please reply then I can get some sleep.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I should just relax doctor? And rest.

Yes, I do believe you should

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you.