Dr Hayat
Dr Hayat, Specialty Dr Internal and Critical Care Medicine
Experience:  Expert
113699036

I am concerned I may have had untreated bacterial pneumonia

I am concerned I may have had untreated bacterial pneumonia for 2-3 weeks. I have been coughing up bloody mucous on and off for the past 2 weeks, with gaps of a few days in between where no blood was present. I suffer from health anxiety and looking for re assurance that despite the time that has past it is treatable. Have included photos of bloody mucous from the past few weeks including this evening where it appeared a little darker in appearance to previous.

Hi....Dr Hayat here... May I please know your age and gender?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
38 year old Male

Ok. Have you had or have been having any other health conditions?

Any meds you are on for this condition or any other illnesses?

Are you a smoker?

Any fever , chest pain or shortness of breath ?

Have you had your covid vaccination?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I had a cold from 26th-30th. I had my flu jab on the 30th and had fever and chills for kne
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
One day aftee
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don't smoke
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I take Setraline for Anxiety

Any recent xray or covid test?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I've had 2 doses of the covid vaccine

Please bear with me while I type the answer

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I had a covod test 2 weeks ago when my 3 year old was identified as being in a group with a positive case. Test was negative. Did a lateral flow test last Saturday after feeling run down and tired and also negative
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No fever or shortness of breath. Occasional pain on left side of chest like and ache but I put this down to a recent bought of acid reflux I was suffering from.

1. It could be pneumonia or simply a bronchitis...

2. You need an xray, few bloods and sputum cultures ..

3. You need to be on an antibiotic..either azithromycin or coamoxiclav..will end a GP prescription.

4. The best way forward is to walk into A&E and they will sort out all of the above stuff...

Only an xray can differentiate between a pneumonia and bronchitits..

Anything else you need to ask or that I can help you with?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok, so with regards ***** ***** photos, I was concerned of the jelly like consistency of 075232. Does that point to either pneumonia or bronchitis? The most rest was darker (211015) in colour and not bright red like previous does this suggest anything? If it is pneumonia should I be concerned it has gone untreated for 2-3 weeks?

Yes as I said it's either pneumonia or bronchitis. Treatment is more or less the same..

You shouldn't be.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok, thank you. That has alleviated my concerns a little. I'll go see my GP tomorrow.

Pleasure.  Please feel free to contact if you have any further queries or need to follow up afterwards.  Best wishes