Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have an infected index finger on my left hand for a few

Customer Question

I have an infected index finger on my left hand for a few weeks. Igor some magnesium sulphate from the chemist as a drawing ointment, it didn't work. I went to the walk in centre in Leigh and they told me what was wrong and gave me some drawing stuff to keep on for 5 days. After 5 days some "gunk" came out of the finger from under the fingernail, but it was still infected. I went back to the walk in centre and they put some other stuff on the finger and told me to keep it on for 2 days and if the infection spread up my to go back and see them, I would need antibiotics. The finger is not getting any better. Do I need to see a doctor?
JA: Have you used the antibiotics or anything similar before?
Customer: No.
JA: Got it. Have you used anything besides the antibiotics for this?
Customer: Just the ointment form the chemist and walk in centre.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 19 days ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer

I am Dr Sohaib, practicing board certified Consultant with over 15 years OF experience. I will try my best to help you today.

Do you have fever?

Your age?

Any concurrent medical illness like diabetes?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No fever. 69 years old. No diabetes.

Thank you very much for the useful information.

Your description suggests that the affected finger is infected and there is an abscess formation (collection of puss). To be honest, yes you need to see your doctor right away for a clinical examination and certain tests like taking a swab for culture and sensitivity is mandatory. Additionally, if the clinical examination still suggests significant collection of puss/infected fluids, then it may also need to be drained surgically (which can be done easily as out patient in the clinic).

Since the fingers are sensitive area and any untreated infection can also lead to severe sepsis and gangrene, its important to have this treated appropriately ASAP.

If you can arrange an appointment soon it will be great; otherwise go to ER.

Was it helpful?

Thanks for visiting JA!

My sincere wishes for your recovery soon.

Goodluck