Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Is this a pimple or a cold sore on my lip line? No fever, no

Is this a pimple or a cold sore on my lip line?
JA: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?
Customer: No fever, no other medical conditions
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nope

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Board Certified Internal Medicine Consultant with over 15 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Picture attached

I would like to ask few details regarding your symptoms/question to assist you more efficiently.

Since how long do you have this?

Any associated fever, cold or flu like symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
P
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No cold, fever or other symptoms

Thank you very much.

It looks like a cold sore (caused by herpes). Did you have this before as well? Any history of genital herpes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No history, wouldn’t have thought I had it before
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What indicates it is a cold sore rather than a blocked pore / pimple?

Honestly, when you look at it closely, appears that there are tiny cluster of vesicles which are usual with herpes. A clogged pore will be a single, inflamed and red lesion. I suggest you to see your doctor for a simple test (to screen for herpes) and if needed he can take a swab from the affected area for diagnosis. If this turns out to be herpes, then a prescription of antiviral drugs will be helpful to treat this effectively and quickly. Topical antiviral creams/applications are very helpful.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For example, if you see this next picture, I have a few pores on my lip line - which generally I can squeeze, they are little whiteheads / pores. I had presumed this was an inflamed one
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I should flag I tried squeezing it twice, thinking it was a spot. So that made it look larger and redder in the initial picture
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (T41ZMM6)

Right. I can understand that you might be anxious but still the best thing here would be to rule out herpes.

I can not say this with certainty that this is not herpes; as the lesion looks/resembles it. So better to have it tested.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What’s the easiest way in the UK to do that?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Out of interest, are you looking at that picture and thinking it’s obviously a herpes lesion? Or is it unclear whether it is / isn’t, so best to rule out?

It suggests herpes; unless proven otherwise.

See you GP tomorrow in the walk in clinic. If no walk in available, book an appointment with in next 2-3 days.

Was it helpful?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yep, I’ll try and book an appointment

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Kindest Regards.

In the meantime, if you are satisfied with the medical attention I've provided kindly give me a positive rating.
This would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much and I hope I was able to answer your concern.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But I was just trying to understand is the protocol basically if there is a lesion on the lip, it is best to assume herpes until ruled out? Or from your experience, does it look very similar to other confirmed herpes lesions you have seen?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just because I’m obviously concerned, but also didn’t think it quite looked like a normal blister vesicle that I’ve seen in pictures

Protocol is very clear.

You look at the lesion clinically; and its appearance will suggest what you need to do further.

In your case, the appearance is similar to herpes, thats why testing is required.

Well the herpes lesions have different sizes and shapes depending upon severity of lesions and vary from patient to patient.

Just matching your pics with those on internet will not always give you confirmed diagnosis.