Caring doc
Caring doc, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist. MBBS,MD
25020506

My mother is cirrhosis patient and she’s been taking milk

Customer Question

Hi my mother is cirrhosis patient and she’s been taking milk thistle along with other medication. Does it effect blood pressure and heartbeat? She’s stopped taking it thinking the potency is too much. She takes 2000mg milk thistle. Is this too much?
She’s also a diabetic patient
Expert:  Caring doc replied 16 days ago.
Hi.Welcome to just answer.I am caring doc.I can help you today.
I am reviewing your question please give me some time.
Respected customer, milk thistle is thought to help with cirrhosis, and it can lower the blood pressure and well.It is usually considered safe but it may lower the blood sugars too much in diabetics, and can interact with medications that she is taking.
I would recommend to check with her doctor if it is ok for her to use this supplement with her regular diabetes medication.
The recommended dose is 400 mg per day though!
I hope it helps.
Let me know if you have any questions please.
I would be glad to help you further.