Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I am suffering from LPR (silent acid reflux) for about six

Customer Question

Hi I am suffering from LPR (silent acid reflux) for about six months. Where I have greenish tongue and having to clear my throat frequently. I have changed the diet but fruits seem to trigger the symptoms, could this be because of candida? And where can I do the test to see if I got candida?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have done gastro/colony scopy as well as biopsy on H-pylori. There is anything at all
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: yes, I have also tried Omerprazole around June but that did not help. The diet helps significantly
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I had high levels of sugar in the blood test and also slight distinction of the liver. I have switched to a much healthier diet and lost 14kg within 6 months
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 22 days ago.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. It's unlikely related to candida. Much more likely is that you've got a lax sphincter entering your stomach from the oeseophagus. I would ask that you seek a referral to see a gastroenterologist who should consider performing a test called manometry (where you have the pH tube through your nose into the gullet to test for acid reflux.) they can also perform other tests to see how well the sphincter is working. In the meantime apart from omeprazole (which could be upgraded to esomeprazole by your GP too) you should try putting a brick/thick book under the back feet (head end) of the bed so that you're sleeping at a slight angle, head higher than feet, this works extremely well. I hope that's helpful and that you feel better soon, all the very best.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thanks for the answer. I have an appointment with the specialist next week. Could you please advise what happens if I got the lax sphincter? Is there a treatment for this?
Also, I don’t get any heartburns or pain. It’s only the throat that is being affected. In fact, I sleep very well and symptoms only appear during the evening time.

Yes there are options, the first line of treatment would be literally what I said with regards ***** ***** medications, raising the head of the bed however there are surgical options for more advanced cases however as you can understand that's more of an undertaking and so generally we advise the above first.